Chapter 12

Lydia's POV:

My reflection came into view as I rubbed the warm towel over my face.

Luka had offered me full access to everything that he had in his bathroom as he prepared a breakfast he assured that he would like.

I guess in a way I was expectant for whatever he was preparing.

I don't think I've met a man that could cook.

Or maybe I should say that could cook well.

I rubbed the towel against my cheeks before rinsing it, wringing it out, then hanging it on the hook that sat beside the sink.

Turning the single nob, I watched as the stream of water slowly die down to a drip before it ceased entirely.

Apparently werewolves were more... advanced in certain things than my village was.

My father had dabbled and partially succeeded in a way to provide running water within our house, but he hadn't yet gotten to the point where we could control the temperature.

That and the multiple appliances in the kitchen, mixed with the interesting use of electricity.

Who knows what else I would discover if anything.

My curiosity was getting the best of me, but I guess if I was going to be here for a month or so, I'd have enough time to figure everything out.

I looked over myself once more before heading through the door, into Luka's room.

As soon as I stepped out of his room, a heavenly smell overcame me when I inhaled, and the sound of something hissing over a flame graced my ears.

Which caused my stomach to growl and my mouth to water, the realization that I didn't eat at all the previous day finally catching up to me.

The smell was vaguely familiar, but I couldn't quite place it.

My steps were quicker as I headed down the stairs, trying to spot him as quickly as I could.

He looked to be carefully scooping whatever he had just cooked onto a plate, joining it with two other components that were already on it.

"What's that smell?" I asked, needing to place it as quickly as I could.

He glanced up at me with a small grin.

"Perfect timing," He began, "And I'm guessing you're referring to the garlic?"

My eyes bulged.

"Garlic? Isn't that stuff like crazy expensive?"

He cocked a brow as he turned to face me fully, a single plate in hand.

"Not really. We actually grow it here, but do trade it for a hefty price." he shrugged, "Humans seem to love it, and I'm hoping you do too,"

I nodded, "I've only had it so many times, but I remember it fondly."

Dad would only be able to get his hands on it for special occasions.

That along with all sorts of different herbs and spices.

"Well," He motioned with his head for me to follow, "Come eat then."

I followed behind him towards the six-seated table on the other side of the kitchen, watching him set the plate down in front of the chair that sat at the head of it.

The placement was already set with silverware and now I finally got a good glimpse at what he had made.

Two eggs cooked to perfection, a nice pile of bite-sized potatoes cooked with the Garlic and what looked and smelled like rosemary and a thick slice of toasted bread topped with an orange jelly.