Chapter 6

Luka's POV:

She didn't come back for the rest of the night.

Which was understandable, but had my inner wolf pacing back and forth for hours in my head.

We'd been looking for her for what seemed like forever, and then once I had her in my grasp, she pulled back.

Although I guess our circumstances of meeting were out of the ordinary.

Not to mention the fact that she wasn't even aware of what she was, or what we were.

Which is exceptionally strange since her wolf was what called out to me and led me here.

Either way, I wasn't going to let that get in the way.

I was just happy she was here, that she existed at all.

The fact that she seemed absolutely clueless about our species was a drawback, of course, but it was one I could work with.

I could walk her through this.

Her blatant confusion and hesitance about me overall hurt, seeing her draw back after the years it took me to finally find her, so I'd be sure not to let that happen again.

She felt the mate bond, so I can start from there.

"Al...Alph...Alpha!" The sound of my beta rang through my head with our pack link.

He didn't sound pleased.

"Yes?"

"Thank goddess," He blew out, "This link only has a twenty-mile reach, you know, and I've been searching for you for hours! Where the hell are you!? Why did you just up and leave?!"

I squeezed my eyes shut for a moment at the volume in my head.

"Relax, Milo. If you're out looking for me then who's looking over the pack."

He was silent for a moment.

"I left Eren in charge," He answered finally.

His mate.

Which was fine. We were living in peace right now, so my short absence wouldn't be detrimental.

Usually, my absences didn't last more than a couple hours why I usually searched for my mate, but this was a different story.

"Good enough," I began, "Go back to the pack. I'm fine and I'll be back soon, something just came up."

"Tell me where you are first," He insisted.

My eyes lazily wandered, sending back the first words that came to mind.

"A cage."

"A fucking WHAT?!"

I snickered a bit.

"It's fine, trust me."

"How the hell did you of all people end up in a CAGE, LUKA?! Are you trapped?"

I glanced down at the venison rib I twirled between my fingers.

"Not exactly," In fact, anything with opposable thumbs could open the door to it. It's not like it was locked.

That whole fact seemed to completely slip Lydia's mind.

But she left a perfectly good hunk of meat sitting there, so obviously I was going to go retrieve it.