I Know Places We Can Hide

Joe, Alexander and I return to our chambers, and on our way, we run into a woman.
"Joseph, what's going on?"

I feel my fists clench. Immediately, from the way she watches him at my side, I know that this is the girl that he must marry. She's so... soft. Everything about her is sugary sweet, her voice is soft, her face is soft and it makes me hate her.
"Nothing. The Queen has requested that we stay in our rooms until further notice." Joe mutters, barely giving her a glance.
"Well, are you coming with me?" She asks, her voice so sugary sweet, far too soft. I wouldn't trust her. That voice is an act, I swear. She tries to take Joe's arm, but he stops.
"I can't, Corinne. I have to stay and help. You must return to your room without me." He didn't tell me that she'd arrived.
"Are you sure? Joseph-"
"I'm very sure, Corinne. Return to your chambers immediately and I will see you later."
The fact he never told me she arrived unnerves me, and I am not quite sure why.

"I have to say, I thought it was pretty clever of myself to come up with the idea of a pregnancy." Alexander says, starting up the fire.
"But now I have to actually act pregnant." I snap at him, sitting by the window. He's made everything a billion times harder. Everything has gone wrong.
"I need to find my mother," I say, getting up.
"No," Alexander says."You don't. You need to get changed and go to bed. You barely slept last night and were up before dawn. You are not going back there."
He glances over and Joe, who looks down at his feet.

"He glances over and Joe, who looks down at his feet

"No. Father isn't here and she-" I start, trying to make up some sort of excuse. She shouldn't have to deal with that alone.
I give up arguing with them, deciding that instead, I'll just sneak out later.
While I am getting changed, I hear Joe and Alexander talking.
"She can't be left alone... it's too risky." Alexander says.
"Not after what happened to her brother. She...protected... no guards... all costs."
When I am finished, I bring up my mother again.
"We need to do something about mother-"
"That is not your responsibility," Alexander says. "It is mine, now. You don't get to participate in this. This isn't your job." His words - god they make me mad. He turns to leave.
"Where are you going?" I ask.
"To check something." He leaves, and finally, I am alone with Joe.
"Did they hurt you? Are you alright?" I am at his side in an instant, because I will hurt anyone that dares to hurt him.
"No one hurt me." He tells me softly. "But I hate to think what would have happened had I not been there."
"I wish I was married to you," I mutter under my breath.
"I know, and I wish that too -"
I lean in to kiss him, my hands cupping her face.
"I was so scared when I saw you with them." I breathe.