Down In Flames

Joe
Alexander and I have not ceased our search for her. Even though my mother requested that I be at the bedside of Corinne, I refused. I just couldn't. It was bad enough that the guilt of leaving her here alone still weighed me down, but I couldn't be with her. I couldn't, not when I know that it's partially my fault. I didn't mean to choose Taylor over her...but you never know what you're going to do in that sort of situation until you're right there in the middle of it. Corrine is going to die anyway, whether I'm with her or not. And as much as I'd love her to be okay, the poison makes that impossible. Why poison her though? Out of all the members of the palace that were staying in this palace, surely it would have made more sense to take out Alexander.
I want her safe. I love her. I love everything about her and I want her here. I want to get her. Want to protect her - but not in the way that everyone else seems to think she needs protecting.
She'll be desperate to continue training after this - I know she will. She's not going to let this pull her apart.
"Joseph!" A voice yells through the corridors of the empty palace. "She's... She's on the television!" Alexander says, poking his head around the door, before disappearing again.
My eyes widen as I run down the stairs, into the main room, and see her. I know that the girl sitting on the throne is Taylor, recognise her face and her eyes... but it doesn't look like her. She's... been crying. Her hands are shaking. The bags under her eyes tell me she hasn't slept. But nothing at all can can hide the fire in her eyes, the fire that burns even there. This is fake. This is all an act - because she knows that this broadcast is to her benefit. She knows that we will be able to find her from this alone. I smile. She's clever - and I love that about her.
"Who the fuck is he?" Alexander asks, when everyone else piles into the room. Taylor's mother goes right up to the screen, before she gasps. The teacup of tea falls down the ground and shatters.
"Her brother." She leaves, commanding her guards to send this information to the king.
"Shit." Alexander murmurs, looking over at me. "I thought he was dead?"
"She did too." I pause, listening to what they're saying. "But she knows what she's doing. This is all an act."
"How do you know that? She could be being tortured as we speak-" He tells me, and I scoff at him, before slamming the door shut.
"Alexander. Clearly he wants to keep up the whole reunited family scenario. That means he's not torturing her. He couldn't do that because it wouldn't fit in with his plan." Alexander surprises me at how stupid he is sometimes, and I hope that circumstances fall that mean he is not king because if he is, the city will fall.
"You don't know what his plan is-"
"Don't you dare start this again! I already-"
"She's obviously in California! I am going to make that fucking idiot pay-"
"No you're not. Alexander, you know what will happen if you were to go and make a move like that without support from the King."
"I will make him pay for what he's done to her! Don't you want that, Joseph?"
"I know, god, I do."
"So what? Why has nothing happened yet? Why is she still there? It's been nearly two weeks, and she's still gone!"
"We can't just show up there, Alexander. Do you don't know how things work. It takes time. Of course we are going to get her out of there, I promise. But we have to prepare first. We don't know what is happening over there. The California  palace is known for its new technology. We don't know what we're facing."
"If you're going to go and get her, then I'm going to."
"Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe it would be-"
"Fuck off, Joseph. It's my wife we are talking about here. As if I'm not going to be the one to save her." He pushes past me, and I look back at Taylor, who proceeds to faint in the most princessy, dramatic way that she would never be. I'm proud of her.
Maybe this will finally get people to realise how strong she truly is.

Taylor

"Please don't be mad at me." I beg him when the cameras are turned off.
"I'm not mad at you." Someone hands him a glass of water, which he hands to me. "Drink this."
"Is it like last time?" He likes this. Likes my weeping facade. It's going to be a shock when he realises that I have fooled him.
"No. I would never do anything to hurt you, Taylor . I've told you that." His voice is determined, and he takes me out of the room, which by that point, his glass still remains full.
"Taylor, I told you that you have to drink that."
I take a small sip.
"More than that. You haven't eaten or drank anything for days."
"That's because I'm not hungry."
"You have to eat. I am trying my best to look after you, but you have to eat."
"Are you taking me back to my room?"
"If you want to."
"Why can't I stay here?"
He sighs. "Perhaps you and I could play a game together instead. Like we used to. Together. Taylor, please drink that."
I bring the glass to my lips again. "What kind of game?"
"Where you would tell me a story. And then we would act it out, together. Or... we could play scrabble. You loved that so much. I remember. No one else in the castle even had a chance to beat you."
"I don't remember." Of course I do.
"Well, when you're treated the way that I was, you find any sliver of happiness to get you through."
"We... all thought they killed you."
"It's okay. All that matters is that-" Someone calls out to him just as we are about to go into the room.
"Your-"
"Can't you see that I'm busy?" He snaps. "What could be so important that you interrupt my conversation?"
"There's... there are messages flooding in from all over the country-"
"Get to the important part."
"Especially from New York."
"New York?" I question, having to tone down my excitement.
"Go in. I'll be there in a second." Charles tells me.
"But I want to know-"
"Remember what I told you? They hurt you, Taylor. I'm not going to let you hear this because it might hurt you."
I nod, slipping through the door.