The Worst Of Crimes

Joe

On my way from my bedroom, heading back towards the infirmary, I run into Taylor's parents.
"Joseph," Queen Andrea calls my name, even when I try to avoid her direction. "I need to speak with you." Taylor must have gotten the fire in her eyes from her because I can see how angry she is.

She's an unforgiving person, and she won't see what Alexander, Taylor and I did in a positive light

She's an unforgiving person, and she won't see what Alexander, Taylor and I did in a positive light. "It seems that you and my daughter, and her husband have become quite the... cause of trouble within the palace. I am here to remind you of your place, in the hope that you will pass these words onto the others." She is mad. Of course she is. What the three of us did... undermining the rules of the palace... it's all just an inconvenience to them. We embarrassed them and made them look bad. Of course she's made at that.
"I believed, much like Taylor and Alex, that specific form of punishment was unnecessary." I mutter. "And we saw that it wasn't what was needed at the time."
"Hey, Joseph." Alexander calls my name before coming to stand beside me.
"Alexander," Taylor's father greets him with as much distaste as I received. "You need to control your wife-"
"Joe, didn't I say that I would help you and Taylor in the infirmary?" Alexander cuts him off, before grinning.
"I'm sorry, your Grace. I do believe that I am a little busy right now. Could we have this conversation later? Or perhaps you could have the conversation with your daughter... yourself." He pauses. "Let's go."
I don't know why exactly he seems to be on Taylor's side now, why he is defending her and befriending me.

Alexander and I head to the infirmary.
"What was that all about?" Alexander murmurs.
"We undermined them," I answer. "Embarrassed them. With out actions yesterday."
"Oh." Alexander hardly reacts. "I guess they should know better than to seek punishment like that then." He tells me as we head into the infirmary.
Taylor's singing when we get there. Alexander goes to barge in, but I stop him, shaking my head. Her voice is soft, delicate. It's the voice of an angel, a goddess.

I remember tears streaming down your face when I said I'll never let you go
When all those shadows almost killed your light
I remember you said don't leave me here alone
But all that's dead and gone and passed tonight

Just close your eyes, the sun is going down
You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now
Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound

Don't you dare look out your window, darling everything's on fire
The war outside our door keeps raging on
Hold onto this lullaby even when the musics gone, gone

Just close your eyes, the sun is going down
You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now
Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound

Just close your eyes, you'll be alright
Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound

This is the second time I've heard her sing, the second time her beautiful voice has blessed my ears. She jumps when she sees me, but gives me a soft smile before she realises that Alexander is coming in behind me.
There are heavy oceans in her eyes today, the circles under her eyes are thick and purple. She must be exhausted. They appear as if they could hold a thousand oceans.
"Did my parents yell at you too?" She asks gently, standing up as to not wake Austin up.
I smile, but Austin speaks first. "Of course they did. All they do is yell. They're pretty mad at us." Alexander watches Austin carefully. "Is he doing better?" The question obviously takes Taylor by surprise, because her face changes for a brief moment.
"He's... in a lot of pain. The scars on his back from... before... are going to make the healing process rather difficult."
"He'll be okay," Alexander speaks with certainty. "They'll stop hurting eventually."
Taylor's eyebrows knot together. "Why are you here, Alexander?"
Alexander looks at her, opens his mouth as if he is about to speak, but closes it again.