∷ Chapter 6 ∷

CLARA KNEW THERE was something inhuman about the two men standing before her, but she never expected them to be demons. She tried to weigh the possibility of the existence of such creatures and the chances of truth behind their words. She had remained unknowingly expressionless for the last few minutes and was only made aware of the fact when she noted the expectant look on their faces. They were waiting for a reaction to the news and she had since given them none. She blinked several times before opening her mouth to speak.

"Okay," she said simply.

"Okay?" James repeated, somewhat confused.

"Okay," Clara nodded, her gaze shifting between the two men.

"That's all you have to say? What happened to good old crying and screaming? Or blatant denial, for that matter?"

He could hardly believe it when his incredulity was met with another mild shrug from the human girl.

"Aren't you even the least bit doubtful or hesitant?" he tried again. He couldn't seem to wrap his mind around the easy manner she seemed to accept their state of being.

"Well . . . yes, but I don't see why your explanation couldn't be a possibility. I've already accepted your unnatural powers as a fact. Wouldn't it make sense that you'd be demons? Having powers and being demons aren't too far apart."

Clara's voice softened with mild hesitation when she mentioned the word 'demons'. She gulped, her heart pounding vigorously in her chest. Contradictory to her words and the calm facade she had on, she wanted very much for James' sudden declaration to be false. If anything, the thought they could be demons frightened her beyond belief.

James frowned and stared at her in irritation. After a few seconds, he shook his head and turned to face away from her. He tilted his head towards the charred vehicle.

"Aren't you going to clean up your mess? We can't stay here forever."

"Yes, yes," came Zeph's tired response as he moved towards the vehicle resignedly.

He placed his hands on what was once the car's roof. Clara watched in silence as his hands seemed to resonate a kind of forcefield and in mere seconds, the car turned to ash. Zeph dusted his hands off and grimaced in disgust.

Clara turned towards James, her eyes wide in disbelief. When he met her gaze without care, she shifted to look at her car once more. She couldn't help the feeling of exasperation that threatened to overwhelm her when her gaze landed on the pile of ash in its place. To think that her car had been standing there mere seconds ago and now nothing remained of its pale blue exterior was almost too much to bear.

"You ready?" James asked, interrupting her moment of internal panic and directing his question to Zeph, who in turn nodded once.

Taking note of the latter's acknowledgement, he turned to look at Clara.

"We're stepping out of the freeze zone now. Stay close. Once time starts, we need to get out of here as fast as possible. Do you understand?"

Clara was far from understanding his abrupt explanation, but she claimed she understood him fine, anyway. She figured it would be too much of a hassle to say otherwise.

James closed his eyes for a fraction of a second before opening them again. He nodded to Zeph who turned on his heel, took two steps forwards and disappeared into thin air.

Clara's earlier bafflement returned tenfolds upon witnessing his sudden disappearance. She found herself looking to James for an explanation once more, only for her conviction to be dashed when she recalled his apparent dislike for clarifications. Her concern and curiosity died within her as she clamped her mouth shut; hands fisted by her sides.