Chapter 10

Nakota:

Zuko and I were walking down to the market, Iroh's orders, to get groceries. On our way to the market, I saw a stand that was selling beautiful jewelry. I abandoned Zuko at his side and walked to the stand. The jewelry was so lovely, I just didn't know what to choose.

"Kota what are you doing?" I heard Zuko's voice from behind me. "We're supposed to be going to the food market."

"I know but look at these beauties right here." I picked up one of the necklaces. It was a white silky, ribbon necklace that held an enchanting, blue crystal. It was absolutely gorgeous. "How much for this one?" I questioned the lady behind the counter.

She smiled at me sweetly. "That is 220 yuans dear, but for you, I'll make it 150." I dug my hands in my pockets and took out only two watertribe coins.

I sighed heavily and put the necklace back. "I'm sorry, I don't have enough money. Thank you anyways." I walked away but noticed Zuko wasn't following. "Zuko?"

I saw him staring down at the necklace I picked out which made me glance at him oddly. He then turned around and walked away from the stand, grabbing my hand along the way.

~

Today was suppose to be our day off from our  jobs, which meant lots of sleep for me. Unfortunately though, we had to come in since our manager claimed we were short staffed. I was wiping down the counters while Iroh was brewing tea. Suddenly, Zuko came to us in a hurry.

"We have a problem."

"What's wrong?" My brows furrowed in concern.

"One of the customers is on to us. Don't look now, but there's a girl over there at the corner table. She knows we're Fire Nation." Both Iroh and I turned our heads but Zuko abruptly turned us around.

"Didn't I say not to look?" He scolded which made me shrug my shoulders.

"You're right Zuko." Iroh smiled knowingly. "I've seen that girl in here quite a lot. Seems to me she has quite the crush on you."

Zuko did a shout of surprise while my expression fell. Someone liked Zuko here? I turned to see the girl nearing which made me hit both of the Firebenders in warning. "Thank you for the tea." She handed Zuko coins. "What's your name?"

"My name is Lee. We just moved here." Zuko said while I distracted myself by wiping down the counters again. I could sense Zuko's gaze on me as I resumed my preoccupation.

"Hi Lee. My name is Jin." She introduced. "I was just wondering if you would like to go out sometime."

My heart dropped to my chest. "Excuse me, I have to get these dishes to the back." I said and picked up the tray Zuko brought over, hurriedly walking to the back.

Why did this bother me so much? Oh come on, I already knew the answer to that. "Well, this is all on you Kota. If you had so much feelings for Zuko, why didn't you just ask him out sooner." I muttered to myself and scrubbed the plate. "Oh I know, because you are incredibly stupid and a no good-"

"Kota?" I dropped the dish and flinched as I heard it clatter against the sink. I slowly turned to see Zuko looking at me with worry. "Are you okay?"

I huffed and pulled my hair out of my face. "Oh yes, I'm fine." I rushed out and went back to washing the dishes. "Anyways, shouldn't you be getting ready for your date tonight?"

I felt him gently pull me from the sink and place the dish that I was washing down. "Actually, I'm not going."

I gave him a puzzled look. "What do you mean? Of course you're going. She's pretty, you're pretty. Such a wonderful couple-" I ranted out resulting in Zuko placing a finger over my lips to shush me.