Traitor

Vincent walked into the room that night to go to sleep, having talked to Clay beforehand, seeing Nick still sat in the corner. Before doing anything else, he went back out of the room to grab something.

Coming back in, he approached Nick, setting some water and muffins from their earlier 'cooking session'. Nick's eyes peeked out from hiding in his arms, glancing at the food and Vincent with red eyes. 

Vincent watched as Nick covered his face once again with a frown, going over to his bed and flopping down onto it to sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~

Nick's stomach growled loudly, not having eaten in the past hours. He around the room, eyes finding the small plate of muffins that Vicent had set for him. 

It's poisoned, he heard. You're a weakness to them, why would they need you?

They're my friends, why would they hurt me? Nick tried reasoning. 

You're just hiding, it argued. You hide in this room all day. They probably think you're useless. Not doing anything around here, leaving it all to them.

They put poison in the food, it tried reasoning with him.

Nick shook his head, standing and pushing the food away with his foot.

I'll just grab my own, he thought. I trust them, but you can never be too safe.

He walked out of the room to the kitchen, surprised to see the light on. The person in there heard his light footsteps, looking around the corner, revealing to be Darryl.

"Hey, Nick!" Darryl tried greeting.

The knives are in the block behind him, it hissed.

Nick's gaze flickered to the knife block on the counter before looking away with a harsh exhale. He ran his fingers through his hair, shaking his head slowly. Ignoring Darryl, he walked past the older and grabbed some crackers from the pantry, taking them back to his and Vincent's room.

Knife block. . . knife block. . . Nick thought to himself. 

"No-" he argued softly. 

He opened the small thing of crackers as quietly as he could, not wanting to disturb the other person in the room. As he ate them, he let out a sigh of relief as food filled his stomach. It had been over 24 hours since he had last eaten, not having had breakfast that day.

You're a traitor, the voice whispered. You were created for a reason, and you've gone against that purpose tenfold.

"I don't want to fulfill that purpose," Nick growled at his mind. "And I never will."

But his attempts at telling the whisper off were proven futile as the pain struck his head again, as if in retaliation to what he had said. Nick whimpered silently at the feeling like a brick had made an impact on the back of his head. 

"I'm sorry. . ." Nick whispered, tears wetting his eyes, as he ran his fingers through his hair. "I'm sorry."

"Nick?" Vincent mumbled groggily, having faintly heard Nick's quiet cries. "Are you okay?" he asked, sitting up and looking at the shape huddled in the corner by the end of his bed.

"I'm not okay. . ." Nick mumbled in return. "I'm not. . ."

"I'm a traitor," he told the other. The pain subsided as he admitted to it, surprisingly.

"Nick what. . . What are you talking about?" Vincent questioned, stepping off the bed.

Nick took a heavy, shaking breath, figuring out how to explain.

"I was made a weapon, conditioned to fight for Elina, and something is in my head now that is trying to- convert me, you could say, back to what I was trained to do," Nick explained. "It whispers these terrible things about those here, they're saying that you're trying to kill me or that I'm crazy." He flicked his gaze over to the other with a slightly worried gaze. "I need help."

"How?" Vincent questioned.

"I don't- I don't know," Nick replied. "Don't bother trying to help, I'll figure it out on my own."

"Nick-" Vincent started.

"Don't," Nick cut him off. "You need sleep, don't worry about me."

"You just said you need help, and you expect me not to worry?!" Vincent whisper- yelled.

"Forget I said anything," Nick stated stubbornly, looking away from Vincent. "I don't want to hurt you," Nick stated when Vincent tried moving towards him again.

Vincent sighed with a frown, stepping back again to his bed. As he watched Nick leaning on the wall, looking away, he knew that Nick wouldn't accept any help even if it was forced upon him tonight. 

Clay or Kason will know what to do, Vincent thought, laying down on his pillow and rolling over to sleep. We'll help you Nick.  

If it's the last thing I do.

790 words

Will be trying to get out some more chapters, though this will probably be the average length (700-800 words).

Excited for the next chapter personally (it's not bad, I promise :))

Constructive Criticism and Suggestions here!

- CardCatCardboard