Chapter One

"The game. They say a person either has what it takes to play, or they don't. My mother was one of the greats. Me on the other hand, I'm kinda screwed. Like I said, I'm screwed. I can't think of any one reason why I want to be a surgeon. But I can think of a thousand reasons why I should quit. They make it hard on purpose. There are lives on our hands. There comes a moment when it's more than just a game. And you either take that step forward or turn around and walk away. I could quit, but here's the thing. I love the playing field". 

"and i'm so scared of losing all control"

Lucy Shepherd ran into Seattle Grace Hospital just in time for the tour with the chief. "Each of you comes here today hopeful, wanting in on the game. A month ago, you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play, that's up to you". 

"I heard one of them is a model. Like that's gonna help with the respect thing", Cristina Yang said, as they changed into their scrubs in the locker room. "Great", Meredith and Lucy said sarcastically. They laughed afterwards. "I'm Cristina". "Meredith". "Lucy".

"Who're you with? I'm with the Nazi"

"Me too"

"Same"

Holly Kepner and George O'Malley, who were standing not too far away overheard the conversation. "I'm with the Nazi, too", Holly said, smiling. "You guys with the Nazi?", George stuttered out. "Me too".

"I'm George O'Malley. You're Meredith, right? We met last night. You wore a black dress with strappy heels and... now you think I'm gay. I'm not". Holly patted him on the back sympathetically. "Grey, Yang, Stevens, Shepherd, O'Malley, Kepner", a voice said from the top of the room. The interns gathered before the small woman who had called out their names. "You're with me for the time you will be interns here", Bailey said, eyeing them all judgmentally. "The Nazi's a woman?" Cristina questioned as they walked out of the locker room. "Why do they call her the Nazi?" Lucy asked as they stood by the nurses station. "Maybe it's professional jealousy", a bubbly blonde appeared beside them. "Let me guess, you're the model", Cristina said. Lucy snorted. "Hi, I'm Isobel Stevens but everyone calls me Izzie", the blonde said, introducing herself to Bailey. Bailey looked at her hand like it was dirt on her shoe. "I have five rules, memorise them...", she said, walking away and they quickly followed her. "Don't bother sucking up. I already hate you, that's not gonna change. Trauma protocol, phone lists, pagers. Nurses will page you, you answer every page at a run. A run, that's rule number two. Your first shift starts now and lasts forty-eight hours. You're interns, grunts, nobodies, bottom of the surgical food chain, you run labs, write orders, work every second night until you drop and don't complain. On call rooms. Attendings hog them, sleep when you can, where you can, which brings me to rule number three, if I'm sleeping, don't wake me, unless your patient is actually dying. Rule number four, the dying patient better not be dead when I get there. Not only would you have killed someone, you would have also woke me for no good reason, we clear?" Meredith raised her hand. "You said five rules, that was only four", she said. Bailey's pager went off. "When I love, you move", she said, and started running. They ran after her. They stood on the roof as the chopper landed on the helipad. "Katie Bryce, continuous seizures", the paramedic explained, exiting the chopper.

A nurse injected Katie Bryce and she finally stopped seizing. Dr Preston Burke, cardiothoracic surgeon at Seattle Grace walked in. "Fish on dry land", he simply stated. "Do all the basic tests. MRI, CT, you know the drill".