Chapter Five

"Remember when you were a kid and your biggest worry was, like, if you'd get a bike for your birthday or if you'd get to eat cookies for breakfast. Being an adult? Totally overrated. I mean seriously, don't be fooled by all the hot shoes and the great sex and the no parents anywhere telling you what to do. Adulthood is responsibility. Responsibility, it really does suck. Really, really sucks. Adults have to be places and do things and earn a living and pay rent. And if you're training to be a surgeon, holding a human heart in your hands, hello? Talk about responsibility. Kind of makes bikes and cookies look really, really good. Doesn't it? The scariest part of responsibility? When you screw up and let it slip right through your fingers. Responsibility. It really does suck. Unfortunately, once you get past the age of braces and training bras, responsibility doesn't go away. It can't be avoided. Either someone makes us face it or we suffer the consequences. And still adulthood has its perks. I mean the shoes, the sex, the no parents anywhere telling you what to do. That's pretty damn good".  

"and i've been a fool and i've been blind. i can never leave the past behind"

As they operated on Mrs Patterson, Lucy held a human heart in her hands. Lucy started to nod off and squeezed the heart. She looked down to see her fingernail had popped through the glove. As they tried to take her off bypass, she began to flatline. After a few moments, they were able to stabilise her and they closed.

As George and Holly observed a lung surgery, Bailey pulled a towel out the patient's chest to everyone's surprise. "Who operated on her last?" Bailey asked. "Dr Taylor", The chief replied.

"Lucy Shepherd, right?" the lawyer asked her.

"Yes, m'am"

"So how did you end up piercing the heart"

"I nodded off for just a second and my fingernail came through my glove"

"So, you have not been responsible enough with your sleep schedule and you risked this woman's life"

"If I could interrupt", Derek said, from the corner of the room. "We have tested Mrs Patterson. Her heart already had a tear and she was a misdiagnosed anorexic. Lucy didn't do anything to risk Mrs Patterson's life there".

"Glad you're not getting sued", Derek said, as they exited the chief's office. He began to walk away. "Derek", she called out, he stopped. "Thanks for sticking up for me in there. Everyone knows you're my brother now. I don't have my shit together but I want my brother back", she said. He walked back over to her and engulfed her in a hug. "I missed you", he said. "I know", she replied, grinning.

"Baby, you made it!" Cristina screamed to Meredith in the doorway. "Meredith! Cristina, look it's Meredith!" Lucy yelled back. They ended up dancing on the table with a bottle of tequila all night with Holly and George joining them too. 

Lucy and Derek made up! this scene was really sweet to write. hope you enjoyed! song is shake it out by florence and the machine