Chapter Fifteen: The Twins

Nothing on earth could have prepared me for her.

(Claray's POV):

I was on a solo mission to have a conversation with a wolf pack in Northern Canada when I heard chatter that the rest of the team had just retrieved Loki's scepter from Sokovia.

"You're going to be back for the party, right Pup?" Tony's voice squawked into my earbuds. I rolled my eyes at the nickname.

"You know, Stark, if you want to keep calling me a puppy, I can let her out to play." I teased. I could hear the eye roll across the phone connection. "Yeah, I'm going to be there."

"Great, don't shed on the rug." He clicked off the line before I could even begin to formulate a comeback.

"Little shit," I muttered to no one. I hadn't been back to the tower in months, only barely just had time to start packing my things in preparation for the move to the compound before I was off again. I frowned. I hadn't even gotten to say goodbye to Natasha – not that we spoke much lately. Something weird was going on between us. Every once in a while, and it would be like nothing had changed. We'd pick on each other, banter, snark at each other, catch up on new shows we liked. Other times I could have sworn that she went the other way when she saw me coming. She was fine in a group setting, although she rarely sat next to me anymore. She alternated between Steve and Bruce. Of course, I could have texted her but I hadn't. She knows the full extent of who I am now, and I can't say I blame her for losing interest. I had a history that surpassed hers in time if not in trauma, and it wasn't for everyone. Sometimes I wish it wasn't even for me. When I arrived back at the tower, I was making my way around towards my room when I heard voices. I followed the sound and found the team sitting in the living room.

"You're back!" Thor's booming voice caught everyone – including me – off guard, and we all jumped. "Come here, strong non-human!" I was wrapped up in a hug before I could get a word out.

"Good to see you, Claray," Steve nodded at me from across the room.

"Oh good, you're just in time!" Tony strode in, noticing me. There was a tension in the room that I didn't quite understand.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"We encountered two enhanced in the field. Clint took a hit." My eyes widened.

"Where is he? I can help him." I was already up and moving before Steve walked over and put a hand on my shoulder.

"Doctor Cho has already fixed him up, he's fine." I breathed a sigh of relief, noticing Natasha across the room. Her eyes had a tinge of fondness in them. I shook it off.

"What kind of enhanced?" I asked, finally turning my attention back to the rest of what I had been told.

"They're Sokovian. Twins." Steve stated simply. I nodded for him to continue. "The brother is fast, enhanced metabolism. The girl is...well we're not exactly sure what she is." I frowned.

"What do you mean, you don't know what she is?" I asked confused.

"She hit Steve with something, we're not exactly sure what it was." Natasha raised her voice, approaching us. She crossed her arms, offering me a small smile. "Good to see you, Claray." I smiled in return.

"Likewise, Agent Romanoff." The corner of her mouth twitched into a barely noticeable smirk. Bruce walked up and stood beside her. I looked between them, raising my eyebrows slightly. Natasha moved just a smidge away from Bruce, and wouldn't look at me.

"Fury wants you to lead the investigation into them, find out what they're up to, and hopefully what they can do," Bruce nodded at me. I looked at him, thinking for a moment. They were right, I was more useful on research.