6) Everybody Cries

Follow Vote Comment

Dixie was headed back to the gymnasium to finish her PE class. She had gone to the bathroom but wanted to get back to her friends. She was walking through the halls rather quickly when an unexpecting sight stopped her in her tracks.

"Noah?" She just stared at him for a second and when he didn't respond she realized that he was crying, and crying bad. It took her a moment to snap out of her shock of seeing him cry and run over to him.

She reached for his hands and he lightly winced. She felt bad scaring him but he didn't seem to be worried about it. He kept his head down and Dixie's heart broke at the sight. Noah was the person she least suspected to see crying, though she knew he has to.

Everybody cries right? But Noah just had this reputation of uncrackable. One to never let anyone see him crumble or slip up in the slightest.

She sat next to him and pulled him to her lap where he laid and continued to cry. She didn't say anything, didn't ask him why he was upset, just held him as he let it out. Dixie had many sides to her, including the mother friend side. She was very compassionate and hated seeing anyone upset, especially her friends.

After a few minutes he seemed to calm down a bit, still sniffling quite a bit but it seemed like he was getting better. Dixie knew the bell was going to ring soon, and as much as she hated it, she knew he was too prideful to show anyone his tears. She knew he probably didn't want her there either, but he couldn't tell her to leave yet.

She helped him up and guided them out to the football field, away from the halls that would soon be filled with bustling students. They sat together at the top of the bleachers and Dixie waited for Noah to say something, if he felt comfortable.

He had stopped crying, "Um..." He was at a loss for words. No one had ever seen him cry, he was so embarrassed. He hated crying, he felt pathetic and guilty. Like he was beginning for sympathy that he didn't deserve.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He shook his head, "No I'm okay, I- sorry I didn't mean to waste your time I- uh-" "No it's fine I want to help, I'm here if you need me." He looked at her, he was kind of shocked that she was being so kind and skipping class just to comfort him.

"Thanks but it's fine, seriously." He squirmed in his seat, and Dixie reached for his shoulder, "You know it's okay to show emotion right?" She said it with a small smile and he lightly laughed. He decided it might help to tell someone, at least a little bit to possibly help him cope.

"I just uh, I just got a call from someone." He didn't know how else to explain it. He didn't like talking about his sister or his father, not many people even knew or remembered Tatum other than his close friends. And they knew not to bring it up.

The more he thought about how to explain why he was crying, the more he reflected on the memoir he had hidden away, the more he wanted to cry. Knowing now that she was watching, he tried to hold it in.

She saw his lip quiver, his eyes beginning to water, and his hands lightly trembling. She knew he must be ashamed for whatever reason. She wrapped him in another hug, assuring him he was safe with her.

He, as expected, began to cry again but luckily not as hard this time. After he calmed down Dixie didn't try to push him again. He clearly didn't want to talk about it and that was okay. One day, when he's comfortable speaking with her about it, he'll tell her. And if he never tells her, she'll make peace with that. She was just glad she could comfort him at this moment.

She knew a lot of times just distracting your mind can help calm someone. "You play football right?" "Uh yeah," he laughed as he thought about it. He loved football, he was the quarterback for their football team, the Green Valley Eagles. Blake, Bryce, Josh, and Anthony were all on the team too. Some of his best memories were while playing football with his friends, whether it be at the park or on the field in the final few minutes of a game.

He told Dixie about it. Some of his favorite plays, some funny things that would happen when the boys were messing around. He told her all about his coach whom he considered the closest thing he had to a father. They were very close, he really took Noah under his wing, always pushed him to be the best he could.

What surprised Dixie the most was how humble he seemed to be. The more she hung out with him the more he seemed to prove his popular asshole reputation wrong.

They talked for quite a while, they ended up missing all of fourth period. The lunch bell rang and they walked to the cafeteria, still conversing and making lots of flirtatious jokes, that's just their humor.

hey bubs <3

I just cry sometimes it's no big deal- queen kenzie (wc- 918)

Follow Vote Comment