i can tell you i love you tomorrow

It's a surprise they still had the luxury of time to drink their woes away despite being busy and all after the snap. Tomorrow is the day that they're gonna test the time travel and they've agreed that they spend this day celebrating. This day is their cheat day. Steve's cheat day.

Asgardian mead is the only liquor that could get him drunk, and everybody else in this room are practically knocked out after a few beers. Tony and Clint were lucky they had companions to carry them back to their rooms. Meanwhile, Bruce and Thor—having consumed the mead—are sleeping above the other. Steve had a few bottles, and he knew he had to stay awake. Not only because he's the leader of this team but because this is the day he deems to cheat. 

He's sitting on the floor, in front of a low table, and beside the redhead Russian who seems to have the highest human alcohol tolerance he has ever seen with his eyes. Natasha is drunk but not yet dead to the world. In fact, she's still pouring herself a glass with half-closed eyes. Steve laughed as he looked at her, still trying to finish the bottle. 

"What?" She asked, pissed off and drunk. 

He giggled again. "Are you drunk?" 

"No!" She downed the shot and poured another one. Seeing her like this made his heart feel elated. Nat has always been in control and seeing her with her guards down is a once in a lifetime occurrence. Something that he'd take advantage of just about now. 

"If I told you something now, you probably won't be able to remember it in the morning," he whispered under his breath. Natasha—being drunk—got closer to him and positioned her ear near his lips as if listening closely, but she didn't catch anything else aside from "won't be able to remember anything in the morning."

"Why? You want to kiss me?" She asked, almost sounding gibberish.

"No, I want to tell you a secret." 

"Tsssecret," she rolled her eyes. "I know everything about you, Rogers. But go on." She drank from her glass again.

"You really do?"

"i really do. I think you're gonna tell me that you're planning to use the time machine to go back to your best girl, huh? Is that the secret? I told you I know it."

He looked at her straight in the eye, rendering her frozen. For a moment, Natasha sobered up. His eyes were magical that even in the craziest of times, they make her want to think straight. But then again, the spirit of alcohol in the body of someone like her who's got a lower tolerance than anyone else here is not something she could fight. 

"I don't want to go," Steve started off, now avoiding her eyes. He looked ahead. "I want to stay here with you. Get married and have kids." 

She scoffed, thinking it odd, but riding the train anyway. 

"Should we have twins? A boy and a girl?" She added to his sentiment. Steve smiled at her. That little side comment made his heart race. 

"Yeah, we should have twins." He answered, now directly looking at her, even sending the few tendrils that hung in front of her eyes to the back side of her ear. "We will travel the world together, and have grandkids. I want to watch you grow old, see you with grey hair and wrinkled skin. And you will still be pretty." 

Tears silently streamed down her cheeks as she realized that everything he said just sunk in her heart so well. They felt so real and so strong that she had to pour herself another shot to keep being drunk. 

He really didn't want to go. Captain America would never want to show everyone that he's scared of what's about to happen. But this is Steve Rogers, and he can only be Steve Rogers when he's with her. She accepts him for every little weakness he's to show. And right now, he is scared. Scared that he's not gonna get that life. He's scared to go. He doesn't want to go. But he has to. They have to. 

He's starting to regret that he only had the strength to tell her all this when she literally can't process anything. 

"Wow." It was Natasha's only reply, taking the glass into her mouth. "I think I'm getting sober," she chuckled.

Steve pouted. "I hope you don't."

She smiled at him. "I'd really kiss you right now but my breath stinks."

She finished her glass and then leaned into his shoulder instead, looping her arm around his own and intertwining her fingers with his. 

"You really mean everything you said?" She asked, just to confirm that she wasn't just dreaming. 

"I really do." 

Closing her eyes, she let out a smirk. "Well then you'd have to stay a very long time beside me." She brushed her cheek against his shoulder, finding a more comfortable position. "When all this is done, I will marry you anywhere you want." 

He smiled against her head, kissing it. 

"Let's survive this, Steve, okay? Don't die on me," she yawned. "You're the only one I have now."

"I love you," he replied. 

She smiled before finally dozing off. "I can tell you I love you tomorrow."