see you in a minute

Sunshine.

Natasha felt a big ray of light urging her eyes to open. And when she did, she almost got blind. It was as if the light wants to pull her to another dimension or something and she honestly found it hard to not squint considering that her head wants to split in half because of the hangover.

She was just aiming to avoid the morning exposure that's why she tilted her head to the left, using her right hand to cast a shadow upon her face. Finally, she was able to open her eyes without having to squint too hard, but she nearly staggered back at the first thing she saw right after that.

Something touched her cheek when she aimed her head to that direction. Like spikes, but softer. She didn't mind it at first but when she was finally able to get a sight of it, her heart contracted and the next thing she knew, it's pounding so damn hard.

As if it doesn't get like this every single day.

Steve was originally leaning on her head before she woke up, and because of the abrupt movement, his head fell on her shoulder. Luckily, he didn't wake up from the sudden bump, or else she better wish she'd be eaten by the soil if he ever sees her with a puffy morning face and stinky breath.

He nuzzled closer to her, adjusting the crook of her shoulder to his temple by pulling her hand.

Her hand that he holds.

Nat was dumbfounded yet again. It only made her heart complain all the more, finding her hand laced with his. However, she tried her best not to move, and then wander her eyes all around the room without moving, careful not to bother his sleep.

Thor and Bruce were all over the floor, together with a few broken bottles of beer and scattered trays of snacks that they had yesterday night. She can hardly remember anything, and although she tries, it just makes her head ache. Her last memory is laughing at a dead-drunk Clint when he got picked up by Scott in his bigger form and nothing after that. She's well aware that she's seated on the floor beside Steve and they're leaning by the couch while in front of a low table where the snacks and liquor stood. But as to why they're holding hands and their heads leaning by the other—she doesn't have an idea.

For a moment, a couple of clouds managed to cover the warm sun and she had the opportunity to look at the guy beside her without any distraction. It's indeed an unfair moment, because she had no choice but to smile. Who wouldn't? The view of an asleep Steve Rogers first thing in the morning? Golden. And she's not even kidding about that. His golden locks framed the shape of his face so well, two sets of thick eyelashes paired with slightly creased eyebrows defined his proud nose, and the subtle red colour of his lips glistened in her eyes, making him so beautiful to look at.

Unfair.

If he was the one who woke up first and her saw her... would he think the same way? Would he decide to stare at her like the way she stares at him now and wait until she opens her eyes? Perhaps not. Natasha knows herself. She isn't beautiful when she's unconscious. She is totally outrageous and crazy and ugly and maybe even crying about her shortcomings in life. Probably sleeptalking. She can make a guess now that she confessed to Steve last night but pray to God she didn't, or if she did, it better be gibberish and unclear.

"Even if you heard it, you'd still see me the same way." She whispered. A brief moment of recollection. She has tried to tell him how she really feels and she has been trying since that day she confirmed to herself that she will either ride with him or die with him. Death is always the penultimate possibility for someone like her, and she chose not to waste a single moment. She always wanted to tell Steve, but his eyes will forever be stuck in that compass. Heart will forever be held by his best girl. Mind will forever look forward to that dance he missed almost a century ago. She even had a wild, bitter guess that since they have the time machine now, Steve won't think twice about going back to the past—to Peggy. Perhaps after this fight with Thanos is done, and if they win, she will have to accept never seeing him again.