a thousand times yes

The dance is perfect.

Steve placed his chin above her head as he closed his eyes and moved with the rhythm of the slow song playing through the phonograph at the corner of Peggy Carter's living room where they are right now, fulfilling the date they should've had three years ago.

He came back here, specifically on the second anniversary of his disappearance. Now, he is back at the army, re-earning his name as Captain America and right now he needs to fly to China for a short involvement in Operation Beleaguer. There had been an ambush, and though he isn't part of the marines, he couldn't just ignore that. They know he is capable enough for that and help from Captain America himself would be highly appreciated, but he's definitely not flying the plane now.

Before that though, his perfect partner insisted to do the dance now. There is definitely no way she is gonna let him go to another mission without an assurance that he will return for that date and that dance some other time. So from New York, where he is based, he flew to Los Angeles first where Peggy is currently supervising the construction of the second S.H.I.EL.D. facility to be built.

Dancing was never his thing. He never learned it because girls didn't exactly line up to invite him to a dance party when he was still this skinny boy who only ever knew how to sketch and draw. But right now, as he glided smoothly on the floor and led the steps for his partner to follow, Steve felt like he had been doing this for centuries. He wasn't wrong when he told her that he just needed the perfect partner to teach him how to dance. Now, looking at him, Peggy cannot help but smile, seeing that he is in fact a better dancer than her.

The record player then reached the final rotation, making the music stop. However much they wanted it to last a little bit longer, it can't. But they sure are thankful for that time together. A beautiful goodbye compared to the other ones they have had before. Like when Steve sneaked in the Nazi facility at Berlin only to jump off of Howard's plane, or worse was when he called her through comms only to promise a date that had only been consummated three years after. It was indeed, a proper closure. And when she had to send him off to the front door, she left him with words that will surely make him come back safe and sound, or else he will be severely hurt.

"Don't you dare do anything stupid there, Steve. Do your best to come back here with the least scratches on your body or else--"

"I know. My future wife will shoot me," he giggled, draping the duffle bag over his shoulder.

Peggy smirked playfully. "Not only will she shoot you but she will also hunt down whoever the hell it is that would hurt you and no one finds their body." She stepped closer to him to flatten the collar she sure had messed up a while ago while she rested her face by his neck.

"Scary," he noted, still chuckling. Just then did he meet Agent Carter's sincere gaze.

"Thank you, Steve, really," she breathed in, and then out. "For carrying out your promise."

"Always," he smiled. And after two goodbyes, they finally detached. With Steve walking the road to the headquarters and Peggy closing the door behind her to dress up and attend to her job at S.H.I.E.L.D., both letting relieved and happy breaths escape their lips after a majestic parting encounter that marked another tomorrow of a golden scenery, with his future wife and her soon-to-be husband.

She can't wait.

The coast was calm when he saw it from the docks. Three marine officers surrounding him just so they are sure that he enters the ship safely. He even got greeted by the ship captain himself, giving him a salute and a handshake and offering him the vacant seat in his cabin. They will board with a hundred other soldiers to occupy this one ship and a battalion of others for the boats that'll follow. He walked after the ship's master to his cabin and started working on the engine. Not long after, they were sailing the ocean, and he can't keep his eyes off it. Not when these waters remind him of what the woman he always loved would compare his eyes to.