➳ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘴𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯 : 𝘴𝘦𝘤𝘰𝘯𝘥 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘦𝘴

"THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN A LOT WORSE IF IT GOT INFECTED," KATARA POINTS OUT.

In the morning after her return from the Boiling Rock, Katara offers to help heal Kida's wound. It had been healing, but all the fighting with Azula had exasperated it.

"It doesn't feel that great either way," Kida points out. She sits up and puts her shirt back on, looking over to the team located a few metres away. Aang and Zuko are practicing firebending, Suki is reviewing warrior forms, and Toph is aimlessly bending earth, while Sokka and Koa are off to the side in deep conversation. The others must be exploring the temple. Kida turns back to Katara. "Thank you," Kida adds. "I do appreciate it."

Katara shrugs. "That's what I'm here for - and I'm happy to do it." Katara shifts to sit cross-legged next to Kida. "We missed you. I missed you."

"I missed you too," Kida replies without skipping a beat. "Katara, can I ask you something?"

"Anything."

"Do you trust Zuko?"

Katara pauses. "I didn't at first, but now, I do."

Kida nods, staying silent.

The Western Air Temple is a great hiding place, and quite beautiful, in Kida's opinion. The original architecture is mostly intact, with steps built into the cliff to connect the various tiers and buildings. There were many different areas to discover in the interior, but the team had camped out in a certain corner and spent most of their time in the outdoor area overlooking the mountains. When it came to deciding where everyone would sleep, Koa wanted to catch up with Sokka, and Suki was happy enough to bunk with Kida, just like old times.

"It'll be like we're back on Kyoshi," Suki had said with a smile, one that Kida, to this day, can't seem to resist.

In a sense, it was like they were back on Kyoshi, whispering between each other after dark. Once Suki had fallen asleep, Kida was still wide awake, so she sneaked out of their shared room, which was also kind of like old times when her mind would race. Now, free from the Boiling Rock and back with the team, Kida had other things to worry about. Mostly, about her brother: was he still alive? Where was he? How could Kida ever find out for herself what the truth is?

"Couldn't sleep?" someone asks as they approach.

When she hears Sokka's voice, Kida immediately feels a small wave of comfort. He sits down next to Kida, looking out from the mountain side with their backs against the wall.

Kida shrugs. "It's nice being outside, with the open air and the stars and stuff. Plus, I forgot that Suki snores."

"Really?"

"No, not really," Kida laughs. "It's more the other thing." Kida pauses, taking a deep breath. "So, how are things with Koa?"

"Awkward, but good, I guess. We started to talk things through. At one point, I think he was hoping we would be together," Sokka admits.

"Oh." Kida clears her throat. "Is that...is that something you would want or ....?"

Sokka shifts closer to Kida so that their shoulders are touching. Kida looks up at him, already finding his eyes searching hers. "I told him about you and me."

Kida smiles, feeling her cheeks heat up, and looks away. "What, that we're reluctant acquaintances?" she jokes.

"Oh please," Sokka laughs. He gently grabs Kida's chin and turns her towards him. Then, he tucks hair behind her ear, finally resting his hand on her leg. "I don't think you kiss a reluctant acquaintance the way you kiss me," Sokka teases back.