➳ 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯: 𝘧𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵 𝘰𝘳 𝘧𝘭𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵

"EXPLAIN TO ME AGAIN WHAT HAPPENED,"  Kida states, already coming up with a plan.

After rescuing Appa, Zuko went through some sort of "metamorphosis," as Uncle called it, some sort of internal battle between good and evil that was not only mental, but physical as well. That was how Kida understood it, at least. Needless to say, Zuko was sick for quite some time, so she and Uncle helped him through. Before long, Zuko was better than ever: more optimistic, more excited about life, and, Kida's personal favourite, more patient during training. At the same time, Uncle opened his very own tea shop, and, on opening day, got invited to serve tea to the Earth King. He and Zuko left earlier in the morning, both in high spirits. Things were looking up.

At least, that was the case before Uncle came rushing back to their apartment, out of breath and desperately asking Kida for her help.

"It was an ambush," he explains. Kida hands him a cup of water, which he gulps down quickly before continuing. "Azula, Zuko's sister, is in Ba Sing Se. She cornered us, and we managed to get away, but Zuko —"

"He stayed to fight her," Kida deduces and Uncle nods. She starts pacing back and forth across the living room. Almost subconsciously, she moves to grab her knife, and straps it to her belt. "Okay, so we need to find Zuko, but we also have to figure out why Azula is here. That can't be good. I say we ambush a Dai Li agent to see what he knows and go from there. I'll be back in a bit."

Before she can leave, Uncle places a hand on Kida's shoulder. "I think this might require more than that. You know who might be able to help us...."

Kida furrows her brow before realizing what he means. "No. I mean, how would we even find them? The city is huge."

"That shouldn't be a problem. It is no coincidence that you are in the same city as them right now. I believe destiny brought you together for a reason." Uncle smiles.

»»---------------------►

KIDA IS ABOUT TO KNOCK ON THE DOOR OF A HOUSE IN THE UPPER RING OF BA SING SE. Uncle stands behind her, waiting calmly, and the Dai Li agent she ambushed and tied up is sitting on the ground. She tries to ignore her heart trying to beat out of its ribcage.

Before Kida can actually knock, someone opens the door. It's that earthbender she ran into in the woods a while back. Toph.

"Hothead," Toph greets, smiling. "I've been wondering when you're going to show up." She punches Kida's arm affectionately before stepping aside and letting her in.

"Kida?" Aang says. He rushes to give Kida a hug. At first contact, Kida is hesitant, but that changes within a millisecond.

"Hey, kid," she replies softly once Aang pulls away.

"Why are you here?" Sokka glares at her, his arms crossed.

Kida tries not to let his aggressive tone hurt her. She gestures to Uncle. "We need your help. Azula is in Ba Sing Se."

"She must have Katara," Aang realizes.

Spirits. Things just got worse. Kida has nothing to lose. She really does need their help, and she wants to help them, too. "Azula also has Zuko. Who, by the way, turns out is my cousin. Just to avoid any future surprises."

Sokka's jaw practically drops to the floor. "Oh no. Absolutely not." He walks towards Kida and starts pushing her out the door.

She stands her ground and pushes him away. "He's different now," Kida defends. "Look, and it's not just him who needs our help. Katara does too, and frankly, the whole city is in danger. I need you to trust me."