Chapter Seven

As the engines pulled out of the station, Maya continued prepping herself for the call. Andy handed over her the tablet from the driver's seat.

"How was your session?" Andy asked.

"Good - yeah it was good."

"You ask her yet?"

"Ask her what - who are you talking about?" Travis asked from the back.

"Nothing!" Maya called back, she didn't want the entire station to know of her predicament with the Italian Doctor. Andy and Vic were enough.

"Well?" Andy asked again.

"No - the alarm got in the way before I could even bring it up," Maya admitted.

"When are you seeing her again?"

"Should be Friday - barring no further interruptions."

"Will you ask then?"

"Yeah - hopefully if I don't make a fool of myself," Maya said getting nervous again.

"You won't - well maybe a little bit, knowing you, but you'll be fine. She likes you," Andy said with a smile, keeping her eyes on the road.

"You can't be sure of that," Maya replied.

"Well based off of Vic's description - I think we can be pretty sure. As soon as she brought up your name she said she started smiling and 'her eyes had hearts coming out of them' but those were Vic's words not mine," Maya started blushing at Andy's words and looked out the window trying to get her mind back into focus before they arrived.

The rest of the journey was silent and minutes later they rolled to a stop. In front of them was a hairdressers - or what was a hairdressers. It was currently burning with flames, onlookers surrounded the streets incapsulated by the scene in front of them. They all jumped out and Maya began calling out orders.

"Herrera, Hughes - get us some water! Miller, Montgomery go on search and rescue, Warren see if anyone needs medical attention - let's move people!" Everyone rushed off to do their jobs when a woman rushed over panicked and screaming.

"She's in there! Please, please get her out!" She screamed, tears running down her face.

Maya ran over to her, "Ma'am, I'm Captain Maya Bishop. Can you tell me who is in there?"

"My daughter, Annie! I went over to the shops while she was having her appointment - I was only away for 15 minutes I swear - please, please get her out! She's 15, tall, blonde hair..." She cried.

"My team are in there now - they will get her out, okay!" Maya said, trying to calm the woman, who nodded in response.

"Montgomery, Miller - we have a 15 year old girl in the building, her name is Annie - tall, blonde hair," She repeated into her radio.

"On it cap!" Miller said back.

Maya had the woman escorted back to where the onlookers were to keep her safe as she watched Hughes spraying down the exterior building, while Andy was inside doing the same.

Then she suddenly heard loud bangs coming from inside. "Miller - status update; what is that noise?" Maya knew every possible noise a fire could make, from a spit, to a crackle, to a roar - she knew them all. Bangs however she wasn't as familiar.

"Hairspray! It's exploding!" He called back.

"Have you found the girl?"

"Montgomery is bringing her out now - I have 3 more people in here, all staff from what I can tell," and just on point, Maya watched Travis pull Annie out from the smoke as Warren rushed over to her placing an oxygen mask across her face. She saw Annie's mum rush over to her, more tears spilling down her face.