Chapter Ten

"Hey! Where have you been?!" Amelia cried as she walked into the attending lounge at 9pm seeing Carina nearly ready to head home.

"Um working," Carina replied confused.

"How was it then!!" She questioned, as Maggie walked into the room as well.

"How was the date? Did you kiss? Was it romantic? Are you going out again? Please say you are!" Maggie rattled off quickly, getting excited.

Carina laughed as she was suddenly bombarded with questions from her friends, "Incredible, yes, yes and yes."

"I'm so happy for you!" Maggie said with a smile. "I knew she was a good one." Carina nodded in agreement, her face breaking out into a smile as she thought back to their date two nights ago.

"So when exactly did you kiss?" Amelia asked curiously.

"Why?" Carina asked confused at the strange question.

"Just answer," Amelia pushed.

"During..."

"Yes!" Maggie cried out as Amelia groaned reaching into her pocket to pull out 50 bucks and begrudgingly hand it over to Maggie who was smiling widely.

"What was that? What just happened?" Carina cried gesturing at the sudden exchange of money. "Did you bet on me?"

"Did you kiss at the end?" Amelia asked, ignoring the Italians question.

"No - we nearly did, her phone rang and interrupted. I can't believe you guys!"

"Sorry," they both said with half-hearted apologies.

"No worries - anyway I should get home; it's been crazy today and I'm exhausted."

"Okay - well I'll see you tomorrow. Night shift?" Maggie asked.

"Yep!"

"Bye Carina have a nice night!" They both called as the brunette left the attendings lounge with a wave and headed to her car.

As she walked up the stairs to her apartment building floor she couldn't wait till she could just watch some TV, put her feet up and relax, well, that was until she turned the corner. She saw a figure sat down on the floor outside of her apartment. It was Maya. She was both equally confused and happy that the firefighter was here because she'd missed seeing her after their date but why was she here? As she got closer she saw the blonde turn her head and her heart instantly dropped and she rushed forward.

"Maya! What the hell happened to you?" She crouched down and gently took her face in her hands seeing a bust lip and a few scraps on her face, and what looked like the onset of a black eye. Aside from that she could smell alcohol which worried her.

"Hey....Carina," Maya slurred with a smile. "You look pretty," she said with a lopsided wink. Even drunk and clearly hurt Maya was still charming. Carina ignored the girl and gently pulled her to her feet as she reached to grab her set of keys from her pocket.

"Where we going?" Maya asked, resting against Carina.

"Inside," Carina replied, as she finally managed to open the door dragging both herself and Maya in. At leats Maya was semi-sober but she didn't want her to get injured any further so she helped her sit down on the sofa. Once she was convinced Maya wasn't going to pass out she grabbed a glass from the cabinet and filled it with water. As the liquid filled the glass she took a deep breath, in and out, calming her nerves.

She had never seen Maya like this. She'd only known Maya for less than a month but from what she did know was that she rarely drunk - she'd gone on a lengthy conversation about the dangers of it once and how she had never had any alcohol growing up due to her strict training regimen and even after the olympics she had maintain her physical fitness. So, seeing Maya like this - injured no less really worried her. She grabbed her medical bag that she kept handy from one of her cupboards - the perks of being a doctor was that she is always prepared. She took one more breath before she walked back to the living room, water and bag in hand.