CHAPTER TWO ❀ "ICARUS"

.・。.・゜✭・.・

"even before i was touched, i belonged to you; you had only to look at me"louise glück

louise glück
.・。.・゜✭・.・

THE IDEA OF GENUINE HAPPINESS IS FOREIGN TO TEN YEAR OLD Stella of Solaria as she sits on her chair next to her mother at the annual royal meeting. There is a soreness in her bones, a soreness not of bruises, but a soreness of existence, a soreness of all that she does not know, all that she does not have.

Next to her is Sky of Eraklyon, the boy in which her mother had told her to get along with, that it was an integral part of her duty as princess of Solaria. He is giving her a grimace of a smile as she attempts to talk to him, to continue her duty as princess. Their conversation is halted when his little sister tugs on his shirt and looks away from the aquarium she was ogling at to whisper something in his ear. Jealousy boils in Stella's bones as she watches how he looks at her, like she was the fullest sunlight that laid gently on the dark bruises of december nights. The boy leaves and she is left with young girl with a toothy grin made of sunlit softness.

"They're bored." the girl whispers jutting a thumb towards the aquarium that sat in the corner of the hall "No one here is talking to them or even feeding them, poor things." she cooes and Stella blinks with surprise. "You.. you can understand what they're saying?" the younger girl pauses gives Stella the same toothy grin that she gave her brother as says "Don't be silly, princess. Animals can't talk."

"I suppose they cannot." Stella replies and the two girls sit in silence until the younger blonde turns to look at the elder once again and she meekly says "If they could talk they'll say you're really pretty." Eight year old Stella pauses, being told she was pretty is not something new yet somehow she feels her cheeks flush and she whispers back a small 'thank you'.

The younger girl rewards her with that golden smile of hers and Stella feels every inch of her skin ignite at the sight of it. There is an electrical surge, lighting her up from the inside out.

She can barely breathe at the sight of it but for the first time in her life she felt so alive.

AT TIMES ROXY BELIVED SHE WAS A PINE TREE DISINTEGRATED into the shape of a girl. She sits at the base of a tree, her shoes discarded and her feet planted deep in the earth with the roots of trees and wildflowers, drawing comfort. She listens to the trees as they attempt to comfort her, it is
not as though each of them have a voice just like how she listens to her animals there is subtle hum in the air. Some are high, some low, some are smooth, all with the cadence of a lullaby "you are okay, you are home now, you are okay" they say and all the leaves rustle in the wind and slowly, slowly her tears stop until she is merely sniffing.