forty one

we're so close 😰

important warning towards the middle: mention of possible sexual assault

sorry for the spoiler but mental health is more important than this book. pls don't read if it could negatively affect u! i love u all endlessly

✩︎

HANA

The rain and cold pounding against my skin doesn't seem to matter much anymore, as I can barely hear it. Before, it was thunderous and explosive, and now, compared to Harry's voice, it's muted and dull. I'm somewhat surprised I manage to stay upright with the outrage I feel.

Ignoring the possibility of slipping, I step towards him and slam my hands against his chest, "how can you say that?" The rain is now definitely mixed with my tears and I can barely see straight; I want to break his nose and collapse into his arms all at once. Maybe I could do both.

He bends down slightly, trying to level with me literally and increases his volume, throwing his hands out in defence, "because it's the truth!"

I push roughly at his chest once again, not entirely sure of my aim, but I know wouldn't complain if he happened to fall. Tears begin to fall faster and so does the rain; it's quite ironic, if I take a minute to think about it. "How can you lie about that now?" I yell, slamming my closed fists at his upper chest and ripping myself away when he attempts to stop me.

"I'm not!"

I'm glad it's raining, really, because if the weather weren't drowning out my voice, the entire camp would be awoken with screams and shouts of unadulterated fury. "Do you know how bad it hurt? Do you know how bad it hurt when Nadia told me she saw you kiss him? I didn't believe her! I kept telling myself, over and over again, it has to be someone else. She saw it wrong. Harry wouldn't do that to me. I love him! Do you know how bad it hurt when I asked you and you not only kissed him, you fucked him?"

He seems at a complete loss for words for several moments, searching my eyes for a scrap of belief in his ridiculous claims. "I'm being serious!" The rain begins to fade back in as my anger becomes less blisteringly distracting, but still, all I can think about is punching him in the face. He really would deserve it.

Instead, I settle for punching him in the chest once again, crying harder with every word, "no, you're fucking lying again because that's all you do!" Even through the storm, he hears me loud and clear, judging from the changes of his expression, "lie and hurt people! All you do is hurt me!"

Finally, he manages to gather my wrists together and physically forces me to calm down, "I'm not lying! Please, believe me. I promise!"

"Your promises don't mean shit!"

"Han, I didn't cheat on you! Please, let me explain!"

Frowning, I tear my wrists from his hands and storm off back towards my cabin, unable to believe his audacity - after seven years, he can't just backtrack on ruining our relationship. My life, even, for a relatively brief period of time. "I don't want to hear it!"

"Please, Hana, I promise you, I can explain!" He yells again, and I can tell by the proximity and desperation of his voice, he's following me.

He's clearly not giving up any time soon, so I spin abruptly and glare at him, "you can have five minutes." He exhales, seeming relieved, and for once, I decide to be stern, "and I wanna quit."

This seems to have derailed his momentary comfort and his eyes roll as he groans in frustration, "fine. If you still don't believe me after five minutes, I'll pay you for the next month and you can quit."