Prologue

I gripped my sleeves harder as I walked home from school. It was the second time this week that Evelyn hasn't drove me home from school.

She hasn't been acting normal and she's starting to make me worry.

Walking up the driveway I already see Evelyn and my parents cars.

"Eve why didn't you pick me up after school?" I walked through the door slightly slamming it. My parents were in the living room and the slight bang caught their attention.

"I went home early Hayden. I wasn't feeling too well" her face was slightly pale.

I shook my head and went upstairs to my room, she used the same excuse as last time.

I threw my backpack on the chair in my room and laid down on my bed.

I've began to notice that Eve has been skipping school more often. She's always been strict about attendance which is why I'm worried about her. She's began to talk less and sleep more.

I hear footsteps outside my door going into Eve's room. Slowly I get up from my bed and go to her room across the hall.

Quietly I open her door and peak my head in. She's sitting at her desk writing something on a piece of paper.

Her little desk lamp is the only light showing throughout her room. I watch her eyes focus on the paper in-front of her while her jaw is clenched.

She's always been the one called beautiful or pretty growing up and I've always wondered when it would be my turn to be the beautiful sibling.

I began to lean a little too far in her room as she looks at me and quickly shoves the paper into her bag.

"Get the hell out Hayden" she says coldly facing away from me.

"I just wanted to say sorry for yelling at you earlier. I didn't know you were sick" I say closing the door.

Annoyed I go back into my room slamming my door shut as hard as I can.

Soon my mother knocks on my door "come in" I mumble

"Is everything alright between you and Eve?" She asks sitting down next to me.

"I don't know. She's been acting so distant lately" I lay my head on her shoulder.

"Just give her some time it will all work out" my mother says trying to lighten the mood.

"Yeah okay" I say sarcastically rolling my eyes.

She frowns but gives me a kiss on the head telling me goodnight.

+++

"Hey Bitch you awake" I was half asleep when Eve came into my room fully waking me up.

"I am now" I turn on the lamp next to my bed.

"Good now come on" she says throwing the covers off my bed.

I was too tired to even object so I lazily threw on a jacket and we both quietly went downstairs. Eve grabbed the car keys and slowly opened the door stopping it from making a squeaking noise.

"Can I ask where we are going?" I say buckling my seatbelt while Eve starts the car.

"For a drive" she says vaguely backing out of the driveway.

We sat in silence for a while, ever so often switching the music that was playing on the radio.

Eve took a turn onto a road that was all too familiar and then it hit me.

We were going to visit our grandpas grave

"Eve why are we going here?" I ask looking at her. "Why not?" She answers back with another question

Eve soon parked the car on the side of the road and we both got out. Our grandpa was our mother's father, he died over a year ago. Eve and I missed him a lot and I couldn't imagine how my mother feels.

Especially our grandma they were soulmates. As soon as they graduated from high school they both got jobs and got married nearly a year later. They truly were a love story.

Eve and I sat down in the grass around his gravestone reading the same thing we read every time.

His name, birth date, death date, and the inscription.

"Here he lies where he longed to be; home is the sailor, home from the sea"

Reading his inscription made me tear up every single time.

I looked over at Eve and tears were falling down her face but a light smile that was barely noticeable was shown on her face.

"What would you want written on your gravestone?" She asked wiping her tears away.

"Haven't really thought about it" I said honestly "what about you?" I added

"Until we meet again" Eve says pulling pieces of grass out of the ground "I know it's kinda stupid"

"No it's not" I reassure her. She gives me a small smile but it soon fades.

We sat in silence for a few minutes until I broke it "I'm worried about you"

She pauses before answering "I'm worried about me too" I move closer to her placing my hand on hers.

In the past Eve has struggled with depression and I didn't always understand why. I would always try to be there to comfort her but sometimes that wasn't enough.

I was around 14 when I accidentally walked in on Eve hurting herself. She made me promise that I wouldn't tell anyone and in the back of my mind I knew it was wrong to keep it a secret from my parents but if I betrayed Eve I wouldn't forgive myself.

"Hayden I want you to know that I love you" she wiped the tears off my checks that I didn't even know had fallen.

"Always and forever" we've been saying this same phrase to each other for years now

Sadly this was the last time I would say it to Eve

_________

Let me know what you think of the story so far!

Vote | Comment | Follow