9

Caden's POV

It's been nearly a month since my mom was diagnosed with cancer. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel. At this point I feel nothing.

"Honey I need you to promise me you'll grow up to be a wonderful man" I was laying with my mom in her hospital bed. She's began to get weaker everyday.

"I promise mom" tears were rolling down both of our cheeks. She gave me a kiss on the forehead and began running her hands through my hair. "I love you"

"I love you too Caden" her heart monitor stopped beeping.

"Mom"

"MOM"

Nurses began filing into the room, I was pulled outside into the hallway. It took over 5 nurses to keep me back as I was fighting to see my mom again.

This was the last time I would ever see my mom again

"MILLER" Myles was shaking me trying to wake me up, concern was written all over his face. "You alright bro?"

"Yeah I'm good" beads of sweat formed on my forehead as I wiped it off with the back of my hand. "Just a bad dream"

He nodded and left my room. I haven't had a dream like that in months and every time it brings back all of the dark memories. That was the last time I cried, I couldn't even cry at her funeral it's like my emotions were cut off.

Thankfully I didn't drink too much last night as I only had a small headache. I left my room needing a shower I felt pretty gross.

The hot water calmed me down which was definitely something I needed today. I already knew today was gonna be hard to hold in my anger.

"You sure your alright?" Myles had a worried tone in his voice. "Ever since that nightmare or whatever you have been acting different"

"I'm fine" I stated firmly "Where's Theo? I wanna go get breakfast"

"He's still sleeping but I'm gonna go wake him up now" I nodded and grabbed my keys.

I heard a loud thud upstairs and soon Myles was sprinting down the stairs along with an angry Theo behind him.

"I'm gonna fucking kill you" Theo jumped on Myles back and began pulling him to the ground

"You should have been awake" they started rolling around on the floor like wild animals.

"Doesn't give you the right to dump water on my head" now that I look at it Theo's head was drenched in water. "If you two aren't in my Jeep in 5 minutes I'm leaving" I slammed the door shut unable to tolerate them today.

Couple minutes later they both came trudging out of the house like zombies. I don't even think Theo changed since he was in pajama bottoms and a loose t-shirt.

While driving to a diner I noticed that Myles kept on looking at me from the passenger seat

"What?" I said bluntly

"That dream was about your mom wasn't it?" Myles knew this was why I've been on edge all day. I only nodded at him

"We're here bro if you wanna talk" Theo spoke calmly. "We won't judge"

"I don't need to fuckin-" I stopped myself trying to let my rage settle "I'm fine" I clenched my jaw bringing my focus to driving.

The ride was silent until a low buzz came from one of the back seats. Theo reached his hand down into the crevice and pulled out a phone.

"Who's is this?" Theo held it up showing Myles and I, a random number was calling it. We both looked at each other confused.

"Answer it dipshit"

"Hello?" Theo held the phone up to his ear. "Who is this?"

"Do any of you know a Hayden?" Theo asked us. Myles and I both shook our heads.

"I'm sorry but-" I grabbed the phone from Theo's hand. It clicked in my head who's phone this was, it's the girl I drove home from the party.

"Uhh hello?" It's her voice

"This is gonna sound a bit strange but when I brought you home last night I think you dropped your phone in my car"

"Who is this? I don't exactly remember what happened last night"

I cleared my throat "Oh right umm this is Caden"

"Ok well Caden can I get my phone back?"

"Yeah yeah. Do you know where Creeks Diner is?"

There was a short pause before she answered. "I do I can meet you there in like 20 minutes"

"Ok sound good"

I hung up the phone. Both Myles and Theo were staring at me wide eyed.

"Who the hell was that?" Myles asked

"It's a long story but I brought her home from the party last night and I guess she left her phone in here" it felt good now that I finally knew her name

"You never let girls ride in your car" Myles was still completely confused. "Like ever"

"I know" I narrowed my gaze on the road.

"Does someone have a secret girl and didn't tell us?" Theo teased rising his eyebrows.

"No Theo shut your ass up" Theo put his hands up in surrender

"What ever you say Miller" I knew Theo and Myles weren't believing me.

Vote | Comment | Follow