Oblivious

There you were, wandering through the grounds of Ouran Academy, carrying a bag just in case. By the time you had arrived at the prestigious school, a sunset had blanketed the sky, and the rest of the students had returned to their homes, preparing for the weekend, a time where they could relax and sleep in before returning.

It was a Friday, and of course, that meant you had stayed in the school's library and studied for upcoming exams. However, instead of being productive, you wandered through the school gardens because of a text message from Mori, of all people, asking you to meet him and the others at the infamous hedge. Apparently, Tamaki wanted to do a 'team-building' activity, and while you were not a part of the Host Club, he insisted you'd join to cheer Haruhi on.

"Over here!" Hikaru and Kaoru caught your attention with their statement, making you approach the Host Club. As usual, Tamaki was being Tamaki, Kyoya was scribbling down in his notebook, Honey was on Mori's shoulders, rambling about sweets and various other topics, and Haruhi sat on a nearby bench, waiting for your arrival.

"Hey, Haruhi," you greeted, sitting beside her on the bench, setting the bag beside you.  

"Hey," she replied, averting her eyes, but scooting a little closer to you. It wasn't odd for her to do, especially considering how she seemed anxious about something, but you noted it. She wasn't one to be distant out of the blue without something being wrong, after all.

"Ladies, gentlemen, and everyone else, welcome!" Tamaki declared, flipping his golden locks out of his violet eyes. The hosts remained silent, along with you and Haruhi. "Today, we have a team-building activity!" 

You raised your hand, ready to knock some sense into him. His heart was in the right place, but you weren't so sure if his brain was. "Then why am I here?"

"Because!" he answered, not bothering to go into detail and out-stretching his arms. "This hat will determine your partner for this activity!" He grabbed an upside-down top-hat from Hikaru's grasp, filled with each of the members' names, including your own.

Honey gave a look of intrigue, although it seemed he was already aware of what was going to be happening. "What's the activity?" he asked. 

"To get to the center of the maze first! With your partner, of course!" His hand dove into the hat, pulling out two names at once. The pairs were:

Tamaki and Kyoya

Hikaru and Kaoru

Honey and Mori

Y/n and Haruhi

Of course, you were glad they paired you with Haruhi, but the fact Tamaki seemed to search for your name when he pulled out Haruhi's was odd.

Haruhi leaned close to you, making a warm feeling blossom in your chest. "This is obnoxious." she said. You chuckled in response, standing up and sub-consciously grabbing Haruhi's hand. 

"C'mon," you said. "We'll get this over with and go grab some fancy tuna." 

Haruhi smiled and grasped your hand a little tighter, a small, barely noticeable small pink dusting her cheeks. 

"Haruhi and Y/n!" Tamaki called out to you both, making you turn back. "You'll head in first! The center of the hedge maze is where a gazebo is. It's surrounded by rose bushes, so be careful!" 

You and Haruhi gave each other a curious look as why Tamaki was doing this in the first place, but regardless, you both entered, hands intertwined. 

Well, you both were lost. 

You weren't sure of how much time had passed from the time you both had entered the maze, but you could only assume it had been approximately three hours. You were both lucky that your phones had service, but the maze had become to grow tiring. 

"Hey..." you said, catching Haruhi's attention. "Don't you think it's odd that we haven't seen the others, or at least heard them? They're intelligent idiots, and yet we haven't heard them arguing, singing, or possibly starting the next generational war."

Haruhi hummed in agreement and grasped your hand a little tighter, glancing up at the sky, watching as dark clouds formed anxiously.

You said nothing as you shrugged the bag off your shoulders, pulling out some noise-cancelling headphones, a jacket, and a book just in case. Haruhi was terrified of thunderstorms, and as they came out of nowhere, you had adapted and carried some things that would soothe her. You wrapped the headphones around your neck and tied the jacket around your waist, but kept the book in hand. 

She noticed this and gave you a gentle smile, her chest erupting with a warm, fuzzy feeling.

By the time you both had found the center of the maze, a small amount of rain was falling from the sky, and while it wasn't concerning to you, it was to Haruhi. Unaware to you, she didn't want to embarrass herself in front her newly found crush, and she certainly didn't want to have you protect her from her irrational fear. 

Few people—outside of you, Tamaki, Hikaru, and her father—were aware of her fear of thunder and lightning. She wasn't sure how the fear had began, or why it had done so, but she didn't enjoy showing her vulnerability around people she didn't trust. She would hide under small and crowded spaces, and when someone would find her, she would latch onto them and not let go. 

You grasped your hand a little tighter Haruhi's, as if you were aware of what she was thinking. After all, you spent so much time around each-other that the instinct of knowing what was going on had become second-nature. 

"You'll be okay," you re-assured, leading her to the stone gazebo and sitting her down. The gazebo was covered in red roses and vines, which provided a calming smell. You sat beside her, gently placing the headphones over her ears and playing a gentle melody from your phone. "I got you."

She said nothing as she leaned against you, never letting go of your hand as she watched the rain continue to pour down. Words weren't needed for her expression of gratitude, and that was made her Haruhi Fujioka.