Chatting

A/N: Sorry for the late update! My ADHD practically kicked me in the shins and some things popped up. It's been hard to just sit down and get it done, so thank you for the pateitnce.

Luckily for Haruhi, the rain had cleared after an hour, and since you both were no longer wandering through the maze, you had called Tamaki and the others, giving them the directions so they could meet you there. And luckily for you, you got to admire Haruhi's peaceful expression as she softly snored on your shoulder, calm music playing from your pair of headphones. 

You leaned your head against hers gently, closing your eyes and basking in the warm sun brushing against your face. Nothing seemed to matter other than you and Haruhi at that moment. Ideally, this would be where you would confess your feelings for the brunette, but you realized that she needed rest. After all, the upcoming exams—which would emotionally exhaust anyone—had been exhausting her. Even she, as grand as she is, needed a break. Besides, you didn't want to put any pressure on her. It would be unfair to do so, and it would be even more unfair if you woke her up from her light, peaceful slumber to tell her something that might ruin your over-decade-long friendship.

You raised a brow at the thought of being best friends with Haruhi for over a decade. When you're friends with someone for that long, the years seem to blend. It can get to where you both can forget how you met exactly. That was the beauty of it, strangely. You focus on the present so much with them by your side, and never discuss the past or future. It becomes insignificant, and the only thing you both look to is each other. 

You sighed as your eyes fluttered open slightly, quickly adjusting to the sunset before gently shaking Haruhi awake. As much as you wished for her to continue her much-needed nap, you knew that the Host Club would be there soon, and since Kyoya was there--let's just say secrets would most likely be spilled quickly. Sure, they were stupid, but they were smart weirdly. They could pick up romantic feelings in a heartbeat, and wouldn't hesitate to call boh parties out on it.

Haruhi grumbled against your shoulder, mumbling something about 'five more minutes' before her chocolate-brown eyes closed once more.

"C'mon, get up," you said. Your tone was gentle and caring, but there was a slight sense of anxiousness to it. "You don't want the others to see you curled up next to me, do you? After all, they might get jealous." 

Haruhi's eyes immediately shot open, which then turned into a death-glare towards you. Your teasing words were something she both enjoyed, yet despised. 

"Oh, shut up," she muttered, quickly standing up and helping you up. She yawned, briskly blinking to adjust her eyes before pulling out the cell-phone Tamaki had gotten for her. According to him, "She needed a way to contact, 'Daddy' if anything went wrong!" That was in his words, not yours.

"What'cha doing?" you asked, peering at the screen from beside her. 

"Letting Dad know where I am," she answered, pressing the phone to her ear and hearing it ring. "If I didn't, then he'd likely kill Tamaki, even if the dunce had nothing to do with it." 

You laughed and admired as the sun graced her features. Even if she was doing something as simple as having a small discussion with her father, she looked... perfect. 

Your chest and stomach erupted with warmth at the thought, and a small smile made its way onto your face as Haruhi turned to you.

"Ready?" she asked, gently tugging at your hand towards where the nearest exit was. 

You smiled and clasped her hand in yours, noting the small amount of pink dusting on Haruhi's cheeks at the contact. "Ready."

"So," you said, following Haruhi through the maze. "Remember that one time where I threw an apple at a squirrel?"

She sighed, a small chuckle escaping her lips at the memory. 

You both were around six years old and had been released for recess. Of course, you and Haruhi, being the stupid kindergartners you were, had been playing near the trees. It was a vague memory, but you both remembered how the green grass was littered with flowers. But what was more important than any of that—as pleasant as it was—was the fact that there was a squirrel hanging out in the apple tree above where you both were playing. Of course, like the not-so-intelligent-kindergartners you were, you both ran away, in fear that the squirrel would get mad.

Obviously, the squirrel didn't and simply wandered off, as you both ran to the teacher, crying about something so stupid, yet so humorous. 

You both laughed at the memory, hardly paying attention to where you both were heading. It was dumb luck when you found yourselves at the exit. By the time you both bothered to look at the dark, starry sky, Haruhi was wrapped in a tight embrace by a crying Tamaki.

"Haruhi!" he cried. "Are you okay?!"

The others said nothing as they witnessed the incident, giving you a few words of acknowledgement, along with a few snacks from Mori, which was always a plus. 

"Hey," Haruhi greeted after Attack-on-Tamaki, her chocolate-brown locks a slight mess and an anxious look lining her flawless features. "Do you want to walk to my place together? Dad's working the late-shift and can't come drive us."

"I'll drive you!" Tamaki offered, to which Kyoya promptly knocked him out with a chop on the back of the head. 

You laughed and nodded, grabbing your bag and reaching for Haruhi's hand. "Ready?" you questioned. 

She nodded and took it, leading you towards the exit of the school. "Ready as I'll ever be."