Just Gals Being Gay

"Y/n, do you like anyone?" 

You looked at Haruhi, whose gaze was geared towards a tree. It wasn't an odd question, as it was a common one when two people were close, but you raised an eye-brow. For as long as you could remember, Haruhi was never one for romance. She didn't despise it, but would be too dense to get involved in any relationships. It didn't help how her newly found romantic feelings for you had prevented her from viewing anyone else that way.

She didn't want to move on, either.

"Why do you ask?" you inquired, smiling at your best friend. She looked back at you with a light pink dusting off her cheeks and finally made eye-contact with you, something she hadn't done for the duration of the walk. "You like me or something?" you teased, chuckling to yourself at the thought and a warm feeling enveloping your chest at the thought—as imaginative as it was. 

Haruhi remained silent, closing the distance a little more by stepping closer. Instead of thinking about it, you simply wrapped an arm around her shoulders and continued on.

"You realize I'm joking, right?" you said, a gentle tone lacing your lips. "I know your type—if you're attracted to anyone at all—is probably someone whose family isn't wealthy, is kind and intelligent, hard-working, and so on." You smiled and pulled away, shoving your hands into the pockets of your jacket. "And sure, I'm kind and intelligent, but definitely easy-working."

"Don't worry about it," she said, giving you a small smile as she reached for your hand. You, getting the message, interlocked your hand with hers and said nothing. 

After a few moments of calmly walking in silence, you spoke up. "To answer your question, I like this one girl."

Haruhi looked at you, intrigue lacing her chocolate-brown eyes. "Really?" 

"Yeah," you replied. You gulped and looked at the night sky, averting your gaze so you didn't have to meet hers. "Do you have...a problem with that?" You looked at her, who held a gentle expression. "I mean, liking girls and all that."

"No," she answered, a small smile lining her lips. "Why would I? That'd be hypocritical." 

You smiled and said nothing, feeling relieved at her words. You then turned your head towards her, meeting her gaze with an affectionate smile and continuing to walk down the brightly lit sidewalk.

"Do you want to know her name?" you asked out-of-the-blue, to which Haruhi hesitated with her answer. Her eyes were anxious, and you could've sworn you saw a flash of sadness wash over them. 

"I mean," she replied, clenching her fist in the pocket of her jacket. "If you're comfortable with it."

You chuckled and wrapped an arm around Haruhi's shoulders, guiding her away from a crowd of clearly intoxicated college students. "It wouldn't be fun if you didn't have to guess, right?"

"You are ridiculous," she chided. "You remind me too much of Tamaki for comfort."

You laughed, "Aw, c'mon. You know you love me." 

Haruhi said nothing as she processed those words, and soon enough, a small smile lined itself onto her lips and a warm feeling blossom in her chest. 

"Fine," she replied, a hesitancy making its way into her tone. "Do I at least get hints?"

You nodded, to which Haruhi nodded and thought of the possibilities. There weren't many, other than Renge Houshakuji or herself, even with the possibility of your affection being towards a girl she didn't know. She was well-aware of the fact that you weren't one to have affections for those types of people, and even if you did, it would be short-lived and would never have mentioned. 

"Renge?" she questioned. 

You shook your head. "Do you want a hint?"

Haruhi chuckled and playfully elbowed your arm. "Go ahead."

"She's intelligent, and hard-working," you informed her. "She always puts others before herself, even if she doesn't enjoy showing it."

She continued to think about it. "Is it a classmate of yours?" she asked, a small smile lining her lips, but an anxious look in her eyes. 

You nodded. "She shares a few classes with me."

Haruhi went back to being silent, racking her brain for an estimated guess on who you could be talking about. In the back of her mind, however, she knew who it was: Haruhi Fujioka. 

"Sorry if this is a dumb answer..." she mumbled, turning to you once more. By then, her cheeks were dusted with pink, and her eyes held an excited—yet anxious—look to them. "But...is your crush...me?"

Your eyes widened at her response, and along with the blooming butterflies erupting in your stomach, your chest bloomed with both anxiety and warmth. 

You gulped and briskly nodded, averting your gaze from hers. What if you just ruined your friendship, all because you developed feelings? After all, the expression on Haruhi's face—surprised, but also blank—was unreadable. Did she think you were gross? Would she want to end the friendship?

"Look, if you want to remain friends, then I get that," you began, looking into Haruhi's wide eyes. "I don't want to make you uncomfortable in the slightest."

Haruhi chuckled and reached out to grab your hand. "I wonder where you got that impression from, Y/n." She smiled and grasped your hand a little tighter, stepping closer. "You're smart, kind, and beautiful—it's no wonder how I fell for you, too."

You felt all of your worries plummet to the ground and a smile line your lips. "I'm glad, Haruhi." You ruffled her chocolate-brown locks, an affectionate look washing over your eyes. Words didn't need to be said in that moment, and it seemed neither of you minded. "Mind if I do something real quick?" you asked. "You're free to decline."

"Go ahead," she replied, leaning her head up, aware of what you were planning to do. 

You gulped and leaned down, connecting your lips to Haruhi's. Time seemed to stop for a few seconds, but when you pulled away, you and Haruhi shared a smile, and continued to walk home as a couple.