eleven

I sit in my room with Maddie. We're having a family dinner.

"How were classes today?" I ask.

Maddie shrugs her shoulders. "Fine."

"Just fine? Really? Then why did Snape give you detention?" I question.

"Because he has it out for me," Maddie tells me.

I give her a look. "Snape does not have it out for you. Now what did you do?"

"I may have figured out a way to turn his robes pink," Maddie tells me.

"Have fun alphabetizing everything in the potions store," I tell her.

"You know I've heard all about what you and Dad did while you were students," Maddie tells me.

I look at her curiously. "And who's telling you all of this?"

Maddie shrugs. "I write to Professor Lupin."

I look at her surprised. "You do?" Delilah nods. "Does he ever mention what he did while we were students?"

Maddie shakes her head. "But I would really like to hear about it."

I chuckle. "Where do I begin?"

Tonight is the night of the final task. I've been grading all day trying to catch up, so I won't miss it. I look up when I hear a knock on my office door. To my surprise Bill Weasley is standing there, dragonhide boots and all.

"Bill?" I ask.

He smiles. "You weren't at lunch. So I thought I'd sneak away and say hello."

I smile as I hold up a paper. "I've been catching up on grading all day."

Bill walks into my office and sits down in front of me. He starts to look over the papers. "Alchemy? I thought you taught Arithmancy."

"I do. But when there are enough students wanting to take Alchemy, Dumbledore sometimes lets me teach it," I explain. Bill nods. "Did your mother come with you?"

Bill nods his head. "She's with Ron and Harry now."

"I should probably pop by and say hello," I tell him.

Bill smiles. "Well, I know she was headed down to the arena for the last task soon. I'll be glad to walk with you."

I smile slightly. "Did I already miss you two arguing about your earring?"

Bill laughs as he shakes his head. "It was actually about my hair this time. Mum says it's getting too long."

I shake my head. "I like it." I stand up. "We should go before we miss the start of the task."

While this whole tournament has been exciting, I'm also ready for it to be over. Once it's done, I don't have to worry about Harry dying in some poorly thought-out task. If he wins good for him if he loses well at least he makes it out alive. Everyone is buzzing with excitement as we sit in the arena. Music starts playing as the champions emerge.

"Earlier today Professor Moody placed the Triwizards cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position. Now as Mr. Diggory..." Dumbledore starts. The crowd cheers for Cedric. "And Mr. Potter..." I cheer for Harry with all of his friends. "...tied for first position they will be the first to enter the maze. Followed by Mr. Krum..." People cheer again. "Then Ms. Delacour. The first person to touch the cup will be the winner." Everyone cheers. "I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter, if at any point should a contestant wish to withdraw from the task, he or she need only send up red sparks with their wands. Contestants gather round." Dumbledore turns to the champions. He tells them something I can't hear. Merlin knows it's a warning about the dangers that lie within the maze. "Champions! Prepare yourselves!" Everyone cheers again. "On the count of three... ONE..." Dumbledore starts. The cannon goes off early causing Dumbledore to groan.