VII

                              Chapter Seven-Feelings and Old Secrets

Heavens, Olivia sighed, what was wrong with her?

She was wrapped in Ian's warm embrace, she had placed her face on his chest--they were laying in the same bed--but she was still thinking about Jace.....

She couldn't get him out of her mind-- no matter how hard she tried-- she couldn't suppress her feelings for him, despite knowing that he was her brother and that she shouldn't have these feelings for him.

God. Olivia sighed--thinking about how messed up everything was-- and closed her eyes.

She was feeling guilty. She was feeling guilty for falling in love with her own brother.  She was feeling guilty because she felt that she was somehow cheating on Ian by having feelings for Jace. She was feeling guilty because....because she had no control over own her heart.

''Liv,'' Ian spoke, breaking the peaceful silence that had been surrounding them since the past  few minutes, ''Liv,  can I ask you something?''

Olivia lifted her head and looked at Ian, noticing his ruffled hair and soft eyes, and said in a gentle voice, ''Yes,''

''Something is bothering you.....what is it?''

She stayed silent, unable to answer his question.

''Liv, is it him?'' he asked softly, '' Is it Valentine?'' 

Olivia stiffened upon hearing his name, her mind reminding her that all of their troubles were because of him.

'' You were with him for four days. The kind of things you and Jace you must have seen ...the--the experiments he did on you....'' Ian's voice hitched at the end and his blood boiled as he thought about the horrible things Olivia and Jace had gone through in the past few days:  Valentine's manipulation,  the horrors of his ship, his torture and experiments, the wolves' fury.....

He sucked in a breath and closed his eyes.

They had been through so much, they had been through so much and he was so proud of them for surviving all of it, but he was also angry at himself for not being able to save them from all of the pain and agony that Valentine had caused.

You failed, his inner voice whispered, you failed in protecting them.

"Ian,'' Olivia gently placed her hand on his cheek and softened her eyes as she felt his guilt, '' This isn't because of you. Don't blame yourself for this.''

Ian reopened his eyes and stared at her with guilt-filled eyes. ''It is. Olivia, I couldn't save you. I couldn't--I couldn't protect you.'' he hissed and dug his fingers into his palms, not bothered about the pain that erupted in his hands. ''I couldn't keep you safe.''