07 ¦ BULLETS & NEW BREEDS

"OH MY FUC- JULIANTO, STOP HUGGING YOUR STOMACH AND RUN!"

- Haruna, Run -

The alley was dim and narrow as the two walls were built a little too close apart from each other, though by walking single file, they could all still fit. Even for Julianto.

After a day of decaying, the dead had lost their visions as they were now only a bit of blur with red tits that could only be detected as movements for them. Some were slow and some were fast. But despite that, their sensitive hearings were their advantage. And in such a narrow pathway, the slightest sound would be game over to those behind the line, Kin and Jimin.

"Watch your step, stay light on your feet and be alert at all costs." Taka, in the frontline, mouthed out without a single sound before facing forward and kept going. "It's better that we get there slowly but surely."

After a good thirty minutes of turning left and right inside the maze-like alley, the group was growing restless. The faint growls were still echoing while the sounds of shoe scraping against the dirt concrete were the only thing shared amongst them. Silence killed while death awaited and soon the bottled up emotions exploded.

"I can't take this, are we lost?" The boy who fired the missed shot broke the silence, causing the one behind him to spank him on the back of his head, "We're not" Take whispered back in response, his eyes were evident in pure panic.

"AH FUCK THIS SHIT, WE CAN JUST RUN FORWARD. WHY ARE WE WALKING SO DAMN SLOW—"

"I swear— quiet the fuck down, Alfred." Elijah warned the panic boy in front of him while constantly looking at the far back end behind Kin. "You're going to get us all killed."

"There's nothing behind us nor in front of us, why do we have to march slowly like some damn idiots when we can just run for it— unless Taka is leading us to our dead end."

"Shh."

"Fuck, what now?"

Taka held up his fist, signaling everyone to cooperate as he heard a faint muffled sound coming from either his direction or Kin's. Following Taka's worried gaze, Jimin tugged on Kin's light figure and scooted her in front of him instead in case something would come out behind them. "If something happens, keep running and don't look back" Jimin muttered, giving Kin a reassuring smile, "I'll be right behind you."

And as if on cue, it was evident that something was running after them from behind upon hearing the scene caused by the impatient fellow, Alfred. Obviously alarmed, Taka motioned everyone else to follow him and bolt forward instead among the cramped space. "Everyone move!"

Excruciating fear were radiating off the ambience as the group could barely move any faster than the pace they were going. But yet with each passing second, it felt like death was inching closer and closer to the point that they could already feel their presence. One slip from one person was all it could take to higher the odds of making it out alive.

"Watch your step!" Jimin shout out to Kin, who almost tripped over. Her figure was smaller, petite compared to the others. She was quick on her feet but the bag that tightly hug onto her was a hurdle. Without a moment to lose, Jimin picked her up and threw her over his shoulders and ran.

"I'll only slow you down!"

"Don't worry, we'll make it."

"OH MY FUC- JULIANTO, STOP HUGGING YOUR STOMACH AND RUN!"

A particular zombie at the very front of the horde however was rather quicker than the others of its kind. One side of its cheeks were stripped off from its skin with yellow teeth that had bits of crimson red hanging, though its eyes were clearer than the usual white hue of the zombies you would see on the streets. It was different, faster with a clearer mind of its own.

"Damn it, Jimin, Kin, heads down!" Haruna yelled, looking back as the two had a quick reflex to dodge the seven flying bullets that directly hit some zombies' heads, causing the rest behind them to tumble as they tripped over the bodies. Hence, buying them time as they were getting closer to the end of the alley. "I'm down to three!"

"Save them, keep going! We're almost there!"

The light at the end of the pathway was just behind the door in front of Taka's tracks. Thankfully, it wasn't locked. Though rusty enough to need Taka to give it a push and pull. "Come on! Open damn it!" Ramming his body against the door several times, it finally bust open, giving him and the four others behind him access to leave as the coast was clear on their side.

"Namjoon-ssi, Alfred, scout the perimeter real quick. I'll keep an eye out for the others. Justin, Eljiah, stay alert. We'll wait for Julianto, Haru, Kin and Jimin-ssi."

"How did they fall behind—"

Meanwhile the four were still on the edge especially Julianto, who was running out of breaths while having sweats forming on his forehead. "There must be a scientific reason as to why I'm so slow." He said in between pants while the three couldn't even bother giving him a response. Though at a pivotal moment, Kin started slipping off Jimin's shoulder due to the added weight of having to carry both his and Kin's backpack, causing the boy to stumble off balance.

"Forget it, Jimin, it's no use. I'm a liability."

"We'll make it—"

"We won't. Not with you carrying me."

"If Julianto can make it, we can too."

"They're getting closer!"

Kin's eyes were starting to water as she could have sworn the zombies were running even faster, especially a particular one. She never wanted to hurt others whilst they were trying to help her, she could never live with it if something unwanted were to happen to Jimin assuming the worst case scenario.

"THERE!! HURRY!"

"PROFESSOR JULIANTO, RUN FASTER!"

With one last leap of Julianto's legs, he was finally on the other side, followed by Haruna from behind while Jimin and Kin still had one last turn right at the corner before needing to run straight for the exit. Though as if fate was playing mad games, a zombie caught up to Jimin's back, stretching his black sweater whilst inching closer to Kin. "HOLY FUCK—" Upon having little to no choice, Jimin quickly tossed Kin right in front of him. "KIN, GO! RUN!"

"JIMIN, NO, I CAN'T. YOU—"

"JUST GO!" Jimin struggled to get the corpse that was latched onto him off from his body. His one hand pushing the walking flesh and the other trying to take the gun that was hanging on his waist, but as cruel as it sounded, it slipped off his hand and fell to the ground.

Quickly scurrying to pick the loaded gun, Kin directly aimed at the other incoming flesh eaters, shooting down one after another to buy them a little more time with eight bullets and two remaining. Aiming at the one attacking Jimin, Kin pulled the trigger out of panic which ended up as a missed shot. The last bullet being their last judgement on whether they might live or not. "Please—"

"FUCK!"

"JIMIN, DODGE!" And with that last warning, Kin pulled the trigger and the bullet flew straight to the zombie's skull. Taking that chance, Kin grabbed Jimin's hand and bolt for it. Though before making it to the corner, Jimin yanked his hand away and shook his head.

"Wait why? What are you doing?"

With no words left, Jimin simply showed his wrist which had nail marks dug into his skin. "Go, Kin. It's okay."

"No, it's not. Jimin, you're fine. We'll put you in isolation, but for now we need to go. HURRY!"

"I'LL ONLY PUT EVERYONE ELSE IN DANGER!"

"YOU MADE A PROMISE TO PROTECT HARU AND YOU'RE JUST GOING TO LEAVE LIKE THAT? NO, I HEARD YOU, PARK. YOU BETTER KEEP THAT DAMN PROMISE, NOW LET'S GO"

Hearing what Kin said, Jimin nodded and ran with her to the end where Taka and the others were waiting. "FINALLY!" and at last, they were safe once Elijah and Alfred helped sealed the door. Safe with a new problem.

"Clean the wound so it won't get infected, we'll discuss this later when we get back to camp." Kin handed Jimin a bottle and went on ahead to catch up with Taka.

-----
two updates in one day
My brain is drained 👁️👁️👍
-----