Chapter Nine: Ambush

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Chapter Nine: Ambush

It was too hot in here.

That was all I could think as I twisted and turned in my bed, still wide awake even though it was nearing three thirty in the morning. Ever since I'd come home from the Center tonight, my body had been perspiring and uncomfortable, and I couldn't sleep no matter how long I closed my eyes.

I stood from my bed, unable to bare having my damp sheets clinging to my body, and stumbled into my bathroom and over to the shower. I turned the water on as cold as it could be, and quickly undressed and stepped in, trying to find relief as it ran over my burning skin. I washed my body quickly, trying to get rid of the scent of sweat and grime with my cherry-vanilla shampoo. The cold water had a wonderful effect on me, turning my restlessness into sleepiness after about ten minutes. I stepped out of the water soon after, suddenly feeling drowsy as I swayed while putting a pair of small shorts and a thin tank top onto my body. I went back to my bed, and lay down on top of the blankets, and fell asleep the moment my head hit the pillow.

-------------

My bed was vibrating as I woke from my sleep, groaning as I reached my hand under my pillow to pull out my ringing cell phone. I answered without checking the caller id, ignoring the returning heat in my skin.

"Hello?"

Jamie's voice filtered through my speaker, "Layla, are you sleeping? It's three o'clock!"

I sat up straight, no longer tired as a bit of guilt came over me for practically ditching my friend yesterday. I replied, "Yeah, sorry, I had a long night. I can't believe I didn't come over last night."

Jamie chuckled quietly, "Lays, it's okay. You were in a store that was being robbed. I don't blame you for wanting to go home and sleep it off."

I sighed, wishing for the hundredth time that I could just tell her everything about my secret life. "Are you on campus? I have a class in thirty minutes."

"Actually, I'm not," she paused. "I'm with Chance."

"Oh, you guys are hanging out?"

"Um, well... no. I," she paused again, "spent the night."

My mouth dropped open in a laugh, "Jamie, you sound embarrassed. Did you...?"

Her lack of response gave me my answer.

I giggled into the phone, "Well, I'll talk to you later. Go have fun with your boyfriend."

She let out a small laugh, "Okay, talk to you later."

I hung up the phone with a quiet chuckle, then got up and walked to the bathroom to brush my teeth and hair. I threw it up in a ponytail before taking two aspirins to hopefully stop the heat running through my veins. I decided to go to the track to run, pulling on a sports bra and tank top with running shorts, then yanked my shoes on as I left the house with a bag of extra clothes.

I drove my car to the campus parking lot, then hopped out and locked it behind me. I took the long way around the main yard to avoid being noticed; I was uncomfortably hot and irritated, and I didn't think I would be able to hold a polite conversation for very long. I reached the track and sighed in relief when I saw the deserted area.

I quickly stretched and began running slowly around the curves of the lanes, keeping a steady pace and loving the feel of the cold weather against my scorching skin. I continued my jogging for a few minutes, before increasing my speed and silently sprinting across the red dirt. I enjoyed the wind on my face, and jumped a few small hurtles for fun, before the heat came searing across my flesh once more. I immediately stopped and knelt down, breathing heavily as I rested my head on the track to relieve some of the pressure I felt.