Chapter Twenty-Nine: Return

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. COPYRIGHTED BY N.L.PETIT 2014.

Chapter Twenty-Nine: Return

"You know, your diet should probably consist of a bit more than Ramen and frozen pizza."

I stepped away from Trace's refrigerator and let the door drift closed. The assortment of foods inside wasn't exactly healthy, but I didn't think Trace or his roommates cared much.

He chuckled, leaning against the counter. Shrugging in his careless way, he said, "Just trying to get the whole college experience. Isn't living on awful food and cheap beer as good as it gets?"

"Ha, ha," I laughed sarcastically.

But, even as I grinned, I could feel the slight tension in the air. Being with him-- beside him-- was the most blessed thing I could dream of at the moment. But the time apart was there, and I could nearly feel eggshells cracking beneath my feet as I walked.

Trace noticed the blank look on my face, and something akin to sadness and repentance flashed through his eyes before he smiled comfortingly again at me. He came closer to the fridge, wrapping his right arm around my waist and using his left to reach out and slide a red pizza box from the freezer. I gasped when he pressed the icy box against my back, and twisted quickly from the chill.

He smirked. "Cold?"

 I rolled my eyes as I sat on a chair by the bar. He checked the box and pressed a few buttons above the oven, setting it to preheat before he set the box on the counter. He turned back to face me and crossed his arms over his chest in a completely masculine stance, and gestured one hand to me. I looked down, taking in the still slightly dusty fabric of my suit, and touched the leather to smooth it out.

"Do you want to change?" he asked.

"I don't have any clothes with me," I said, shrugging.

I watched him hold back a chuckle as he motioned for me to follow him and began walking towards the stairs. He entered the upstairs hallway with me in tow and turned to the room at the end of the hall that I recognized as his bedroom, leaving his door open for me to enter after him. He dug through his dresser until he found a dark red t-shirt, then turned to another drawer and pulled out a pair of black leggings. I looked at him with a raised brow at the last one.

"You left them here a few weeks ago," he explained. "If you want, you can change, shower, whatever you need. You can use anything you find in my bathroom."

He reopened the drawer and pulled out another set of clothes, then twisted his head around and placed his hand under my chin. He slowly tilted my head up, and I blinked for a long moment before letting my eyes meet his. He leaned down, making my breathing increase and my heart race, and pressed a quick, smooth kiss to my lips. I felt him smile before he pulled away and began to walk out of the room.

"Where are you going?" I called after him.

He turned around by the door and leaned one hand against it. "The hall bathroom. If you need anything, just shout. Trey and Chris aren't coming back tonight, so we won't be disturbing anyone."

I couldn’t deny the shiver that went through me at that, and I was almost certain he had seen it. I watched his eyes snap over me quickly, before he stepped back from the door, giving me privacy as he let the door drift until it was only slightly open.

I sighed as I heard his footsteps trail down the hall. This was difficult: half the time I felt as if we were back to normal, even better, perhaps. He held me as if I were the most precious thing he had ever touched, and we talked like time would never run out. But a small part of me felt that something was there, not quite letting us be the way we had before. It hurt that I couldn’t figure out what was preventing our relationship from moving forward.