Chapter Eleven: Movie Night

Photo on the side is Michael Trevino as Royce Charle.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Chapter Eleven: Movie Night

Peace. That’s what I felt this morning, as I rolled over on my mattress and gazed at the ceiling. I yawned and internally rejoiced at being able to wake up naturally for once, at the extremely late time of three in the afternoon. I didn’t mind, though, seeing as I’d caught up on my much needed sleep.

With a small smile on my face, I sat up on my bed and stretched my arms up, arching my back. I moved to the side of my bed and stood, then walked towards my bathroom to take a shower, turning the water on as hot as it would go. I stepped in and began washing my hair, thinking about the past few nights and how much more familiar Ryder seemed now than before.  I rinsed my hair, at first ignoring the way the steaming water was starting to make my skin to heat more quickly than it should have.  When it became uncomfortable, I moved and turned the faucet to make the water cooler, trying to relieve the familiar ache I was beginning to feel.

After about ten minutes I couldn’t bear the heat any longer, and I shut the shower off, mentally cursing myself for forgetting the hot flashes I’d been experiencing lately. I stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around my steaming body, and opened the bathroom door to let the hot air out of my confined bathroom. I quickly moved through my bedroom and into the hallway, going to the air conditioning panel and turning the temperature down, and prayed it would make the heat recede.

I walked back to my closet and threw on a tank top and shorts, hoping the small amount of fabric would keep from irritating my skin as I grabbed my phone from its charger. I moved back to the window that looked onto my front yard and threw it open, welcoming the frigid air though it barely gave any relief to my skin. I lay on the floor by the window, just relaxing in the breeze, and dozed off for a while.

I woke again a bit later, and pulled my phone from beside me, dialing my best friend’s number. The phone rang twice before Jamie’s voice filtered through, “Hello?”

“It’s Layla,” I paused as I heard people talking in the background. “Where are you?”

“I’m at work, why?”

I groaned as I wiped perspiration from my forehead, “Jay, do you ever get serious hot flashes?”

She was silent for a moment. “Lay, I can’t really help you with that…”

I blinked as I replied, “No, not those kinds of hot flashes, I mean the ones where you feel like you’re going to pass out any second.”

“Are you okay? Chance is right here, I could ask him to drive you to the hospital--.”

“Jamie, I’m fine, I was just asking.”

She let out a sigh, “If it’s bad enough you had to call me, then you should be worried…” She paused and I heard louder voices in the background, “I have to go, Lays, a group just walked in. Seriously, go to the hospital or at least call your mom, or I’ll make Chance come get you. Bye.”

“Bye.”

I hung up and slapped the phone down next to me, groaning as I felt my hair continue to dampen in sweat. I sat up slowly, trying to avoid dizziness, and contemplated listening to Jamie and going to my parents’ house. Quickly, I made my decision and stood, lifting one leg out the window and moving the other soon after, reaching back to grab my keys. I turned and slowly moved to my car, before stopping when something caught my eye.

I snapped my head up, waiting a few seconds for my ears to stop ringing as I gazed across the street at the man who’d just exited a black SUV. His dark wavy hair ruffled in the cold wind, and the expensive clothes that adorned his muscular body added to the arrogance he seemed to have. He walked slowly, almost lazily, until he stopped at the side gate of the house, and turned to look exactly where I was standing.