Chapter Fifteen: Animal

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Chapter Fifteen: Animal

The branch impacted the asphalt, sending water and cement flying onto my windshield. I jerked the steering wheel to the left and slammed my foot on the brakes, the car slipping and spinning on the flooded street until the rear end of my car crashed into the tree the lightning had struck. Glass shards shattered through the car and my head flew forward to hit the wheel, before the seatbelt yanked me back against my seat and tightened me to the car, and I ripped off the constrictor and pushed my way into the sheets of rain.

The tree was on fire, the flames unaffected by the pouring water. The heat felt like it was burning me from where I stood, radiating onto my now outstretched hands as I tried to control the blaze. Moments later, I knew I was losing control of the fire, and without moving one hand I reached into my boot and pulled out my spare phone.

“Hello?”

“Raven!” I internally sighed in relief when she answered. “I need help, I crashed my car and there’s a fire—“

“What!?” she shrieked, though I could barely hear her over the rain and fire. “Where are you, Fallon?”

“I’m not exactly sure, I’m on one of the backroads behind the Center--,” I screamed out a curse as another branch fell, landing to my right and nearly catching my drenched hair on fire.

“Are you there? Fallon? We’re on our way.”

The phone clicked off and I quickly shoved it back in my boot, hastily flipping my wet hair out of my eyes. I lifted my other hand up and forced as much of the fire down as I could, keeping it centered at the middle of a branch. As I struggled, my foggy, smoke-filled mind recalled something obvious, making me feel incredibly dense: fire couldn’t exist without oxygen. Keeping it in place, I mentally forced the air to rapidly circle the ball of flames, cutting off the oxygen flow slowly. The rain continued to pelt into my body, blinding me constantly as I hoped Raven was close by.

Headlights came from in front of me, striking me directly in the eyes before I turned my head into my arm. I could feel the fire beginning to lessen in power as the dark blue car stopped beside me, a girl with familiar red hair jumping out into the small chaos I’d created. I pulled my hands down as Raven stopped by me and grimaced slightly.

‘My God, Fallon, how hard did you hit your head?” she hesitantly touched my forehead.

“It doesn’t even hurt,” I said as she pulled her hand back. Metallic red liquid covered her fingers and she looked at me dubiously.

“Come on, let’s get in the car. Don’t move too fast,” she said.

She helped me slowly into the car, then ran around the other side and got in. Flashing lights caught my eye, and I looked in the rearview mirror to see a police car and a fire engine speeding down the street behind us.

Raven noticed my glance and said, “Bolt called the fire department, he’s waiting for us back at the Center.” She stopped, then continued as if she just remembered something, “Crap, Fallon, you have insurance right?”

“Yes,” I nodded. “How far away are we?”

“About five minutes. Are you sure you’re okay?”

“I’m fine. Is anyone else at the Center? Twistair and SkyRaid aren’t there, right?”

She shot me a confused look, “No, it was just Bolt and I when I left. Why?”

I sighed, relieved my parents wouldn’t see me like this, then replied, “I don’t want them to make me leave or go home.”

She nodded and sped up the car, obviously still worried about me. We pulled up in a hidden spot moments later and got out, beginning to walk carefully through the dark trees until we reached the entryway to the Center. Raven unlocked it and we slipped inside, and walked slowly by her command to the main room. As I opened the door, I could feel my adrenaline wearing off, and the small burns on my arms and midsection were beginning to sting.