The Woods

"Lemony!" I scream into the cold, bitter air. The temperature of the day had went from an average of 70° to the 30's. Goosebumps crawl up my arms and tears fall onto my shimmery dress.
"Beatrice! I'm over here!" Lemony's voice makes me cry harder because I can't see him. Thorns tear at my dress as I move toward a shadow that I assumed was Lemony.
It's not him.
It's another tall man, probably the same age as Lem. But he has bright blond hair and blue eyes, with a brown suit and a red rose in his lapel.
"What are you doing out here all alone? There are branches, dear, let me help you."
"No! Don't touch me!" I scream, my curls wrapping around my jawline. "LEMONY!" I feel powerless, like someone has taken something from me that is beyond precious.
"I'm... Erik Baudelaire," the blond man replies, taking my hand and kissing it. "I'm from America, I came here to see London."
I bite my lip. American? Britain despises Americans. I guess he managed to get across the bay.
"I'm... Beatrice. Beatrice Snicket," my voice comes out in a tremor and I can't tell if Erik can hear me.
"Interesting name. You're married to the author? Or are you his sister?"
"Um, yes, we are to be married," I say back, my cheeks turning red.
I don't hear anyone else in the bundle of woods that are entrapping me. Lemony abandoned me?
"Let me help you get out of here, my dear. It's really thorny; you might want to pin up your skirt." Erik turns to face the direction he had came from and takes small steps on the roots of the trees.
I clip the silver pin of my dress to the small loop, and I see that there are holes in my dress.
I curse and Erik turns around. "Did you just-"
"There are holes in the only dress I care about, I'm going to curse, sir," I say. I bite my nails as I follow Erik.
"I like you," Erik whispers as we get almost half way through the woods.
"I haven't even said anything," I whisper back. Another thorn clings to my shoulder and red blood drips down my arm.
"Ow!" I shout, holding my shoulder. "A thorn got me! Mr. Baudelaire! Wait!"
Erik stops walking and turns around. The silence of the air creates static between us.
But aren't I in love with Lemony?
"Let me take care of you," Erik pulls gauze out of his pocket and wraps it around my arm, and I catch his eyes.
They aren't exactly green, but they aren't pure blue. He presses a kiss to my forehead, softly, not trying to be sexual but not all the way friendly.
I try to swallow air but I have such a hard time that I give up. I hold my breath until my lungs force me to breathe.
"Beatrice, I just wanted to make sure you were okay, I didn't mean anything-... Did I push a boundary?"
"I don't care," I reply, stepping in front of him

After nearly three hours of hiking, I start to see the faint glow of streetlights. I almost sob in relief; as soon as we get to an Inn I'll find Lemony...
But the way Erik looks at me? It's like he's mesmerized by my mere existence. Kind of creepy, but in a way that I can understand.
"Are you okay, Trice?" Erik says into my ear as he catches up.
"Yeah. Just a couple more blocks and we'll be at an Inn or some type of shop."
"Why donmt you just come to my house?" Erik offers.
I stare at Erik like he has 50 heads. "Go to your house?! No way. It was enough that you kissed me-"
"Trice, it was on the forehead," Erik argues. I nod a little, not wanting to take my eyes off of him.
"Fine," I mumble. "I would rather be with you than out in the cold."

A couple more blocks over, and we pass Dark Avenue. There are huge plants that cover the whole streep and a towering apartment. I can't remember what it's called, but I wish I could.
Erik leads me to a huge white mansion on the corner of the street. I gasp at the huge pillers and black spiny fence. He smiles, seeing that I am flabbergasted.
"This place is beautiful!" I call, walking into the foyer.
"Thank you," Erik hangs his coat up in a mahogany closet. There are two staircases that lead up each side of the room, and meet at a stained glass window of purples and blues and greens. The balcony at the top of each staircase leads to two doorways. "Where would you like to go first?"
I feel vulnerable in the middle of the huge foyer. My white heels click underneath me as I walk. "Can I get changed?"
"I have a black dress that I think you might like," Erik replies, jogging up the bleached staircase.
10 minutes later, Erik slides down the banister of the staircase holding a tarplike item.
He tosses it to me and I undo my zipper. I pull off my dress and stand in front of Erik in a simple skirt and corset outfit.
He blushes extremely hard, but I honestly don't care about what he thinks of me. I put on the black tarp.
I notice it's much more comfortable than I thought it would be.
"Y-you're s-so pretty," Erik says, his hands trembling. "I-I think I'm in l-love with you."
I grin softly and try to think of a way to let him down easy. I can't help but wonder what's going on in Erik's head.
"No... I'm not pretty. And I like you too. Just not like that."
Erik blushes even harder and I walk over to him. "I'm sorry."
"It's not your fault," I say back. By this point I'm blushing too because I can't stop looking into his eyes. I lean towards him, and our lips are so close that one little flinch-.
"Kiss me."