IV: Discovery

"You sure we're not in Belarus already?"

She shakes her head. "Still right on track—" she checks her watch—"about hour and a half in."

"Dinnae think we are, to be honest."

She giggles and adjusts her ponytail with her free hand. "I'm the expert here. Always the pessimist, Liz."

"Realist, more like," I retort. The sun's coming down and it's getting dark. "We better pitch up a tent and call it a day. No way we're goin' anywhere while it's gonna be pure black out." Yvette looks up and begins setting down her bag. So do I. Even with flashlights, it's going to be a tall task.

She takes out the tent from her bag and begins assembling it. I watch her go at it for a moment. Her efficiency is like a machine, putting the parts in their slots with hardly any trouble. Makes me wonder how often she's done this while I'm not around.

"Eliza, you gonna start the fire or just stare at me?" she mocks.

"Oop, my bad, I'm on it." I go and find some stones to make a containment ring. Doesn't take long, since we're near a river bank and there are plenty of 'em there. "Hey, I read somewhere that river rocks explode when you heat them. That true?"

Yvette had just finished staking the tent into the ground. "Yeah, it is. Just don't take any that're in the water and you're good."

I take the stones and start arranging them into a wide circle, enough to fit all the tinder that Yvette's currently fishing for. I can tell from all the whistling that's happening. I sit on a tarp she placed earlier for a moment while waiting for her to finish her task. After she sets down all the flammable stuff into the middle, I take out my lighter and let it burn.

Yvette sits down cross-legged opposite to me, starin' at the fire as nighttime approaches. I enjoy the crackling of the fire and the warmth radiating from it. Bloody godsend with all the frost freezing my trap shut. My favourite Brit doesn't look too relieved though.

"Hey," I try to get Yvette's attention, waving at her. "Christ, you're not even budging. If something's on your mind, you're better off mouthin' to me. You hear?"

The embers of the fire reflect in her eyes as she stares off, unblinking. "Just thinking about what mum and dad would say about me."

"Oh. What're they thinkin', then?"

"They really don't want me doing all... this. What do Mary and Kat think about you following me around?"

"Well, Katherine admits you can be a bit of an overreacher. But she knows how close I am to you, how much adventuring means to you, and that I don't mind followin' if it means you come back safe. It reminds her of how Mary used to be," I explain.

"I'm just thinking if all of this is even worth it. They don't seem to think it is."

I scooch over to her side. "Hey, don't say that. It's weird not seein' you cheery. Just remember, your parents have your best interests at heart. They're no sayin' all that just to wind you up."

I wrap her head around my arm and join her in staring at the fire, which starts to die down. "Go sleep. I'll be on lookout duty." She pats me on the back and gets into the tent.

"Thanks for the talk, by the way. You sure you don't want to join in? It's cozy in here."

I shake my head. "Temptin', but I'm good."

>>

Yvette emerges from her tent, rubbing her eyes and stretching her back. I greet her. "You're up early, mate. Sun's just risen."