IX: Araguaia

The sun shines bright outside, but it's not as hot as yesterday. The constant light here in Brazil's dotted my entire body with freckles, which is neat. I still get a bit shaken rememberin' how they all disappeared in Poland. Kelli pointed to my neck earlier and called it cute, but I knew that numpty's eyes were settled a wee bit further down.

I jump into the jeep's passenger seat, nonverbally calling shotgun to Yvette. She rolls her eyes and sits at the back, while Kelli takes her time sorting her things out in the trunk. After cramming in the last water bottle into her rucksack, she takes the wheel by my side and starts the engine. A few hiccups later from the jeep, we're on the trail to our destination.

She manoeuvres around the path with one hand on the wheel. Her other hand flicks open a Zippo and lights up the end of her cigarette. The smoke and the smell make me cringe. Never been much of a smoker in my life. I tried though, once when I was 17. Had a coughing fit and never touched them again.

"So," our resident driver breaks the silence, tightening and untightening her grip on the steering wheel, "this is nice, ain't it?"

"What's nice?"

"The scenery, the task at hand, first time the three of us are doing something together..."

I suppose the beauty of the jungle was something to take note of. Tall trees were everywhere, causing vast rays of light to shine from between the leaves. There were a variety of wild animals roaming around, big and small alike. Bushes and foliage were scattered around filling in the gaps.

"The view is good. Don't know about the other two."

"Ah, rubbish mate! You need to lighten up a bit like you did yesterday." She lightly fists me in the shoulder. I couldn't help but squeeze out the slightest smile.

"We have to focus on the task at hand, alright? I like your positivity lass but don't forget who we're gonna have to deal with eventually."

The Kiwi fake pouts and slumps in her seat. "Fine... such a buzzkill." I smile at her antics. Ah, she reminds me of a certain someone whenever that someone wasn't so busy getting herself wrapped up in all sorts of endeavours.

"Yvette, you've been quiet for a while. Sure you're fine?"

It takes a second before she snaps out of her trance. "Hm? Oh, nothing, just checking out the greenery," she explains, waving me off with a limp hand. "And thinking."

"About what?"

"Things. Wouldn't want to bore you with them since you're so chuffed."

I bat an eyelid at her tone, but I'm not going to exhaust myself tryin' to figure out the enigma that is Yvette Lacroix-Wilson. "Aye then."

The second I turn back forward, the jeep abruptly brakes and lurches the three of us forward with such force. The part of my stomach where the seatbelt strap is hurts like fuck. "Why'd you brake all hard for!?" I yell after recovering.

Kelli brushes a strand of hair off her face. "Saw a snake trying to cross. Shit, one hell of a fuckwit to be doing that as we were passing through." She presses on the accelerator and gets back on track. "Sorry girls."

I pray that any similar shite doesn't happen to us again for the next 2 hours.

>>

After approximately 130 minutes of driving through the jungle, we reach our destination. Well, the end of the trail that is. All 3 of us get out of the jeep. Eliza's still rubbing her grogginess out of her eyes when I'm putting my backpack on. Reckon she actually didn't sleep well last night, but I wouldn't know. I wasn't there with her.