XIII: Mercenary

When Yvette and Kelli woke me up this mornin', the sun wasn't even out. Damn normal people and their punctuality.

I leave the room and internally complain about all the usual things. Fucked up hair, achin' body and everythin' in between. Had some sort of tirin' dream.

"Good night's sleep mate? Not looking so good..." says Kelli as she looks up from the table.

"I'll be fine," I reassure Kelli as I scratch an itch, "in a bit."

"Well, better hope you're speaking the truth because Neto wants us readying up real early for today. Don't wanna be late for his operation or he'll explode." The two of them are huddled up on the main table, looking over a map and some duffle bags. What's queer about this was they've got on the same uniform that the Dutchie and the Yank had on.

"Hold on, what're you wearin' Yvette? You're no mercenary."

She smiles at me with a bit of regret splashed in. "Technically, I am now. And that means I have a gun."

"You have a what?" Before I can fully digest what the hell she just said, she pulls out a pistol from her holster. I flinch away from the firearm. "Hey, hey! Careful with that blasted thing!"

"Christ, Eliza, it's not even loaded. And I've got the safety on anyway."

"D'you know how easy those things can misfire and hit yourself?"

She rolls her eyes and puts it back. "I can handle myself, alright? Besides, you weren't all too scared when you confronted Neto."

"Because they were thinkin' of shootin' me, no you!" I yell. I couldn't stop myself from spilling it out. Yvette pauses. She stares at me like I've never experienced before.

"...what?"

I take a deep breath.

"I'm still worried about you, alright? I don't want you to get hurt fuckin' bad like last time." I shiver at the thought. All the blood, the pained gasps from her. I never prayed to God as hard as in those moments. "And I'm sorry if I'm overreactin' and all, I just get anxious-"

Yvette holds my hand with both of hers and looks me straight in the eye. She pulls me in for a tight hug. Just like in Poland, when she found the crown.

I close my eyes and enjoy the embrace. For a second there, we were in London together on the couch. Hot coffee in hand and blanket wrapped around us, not a care in the world. No promises of a supernatural artefact, no threat of an insane archaeologist. Only the two of us livin' life.

Huh, there's quite literally only the two of us in the hut now. I hear the flicking of a lighter outside. Kelli must've excused herself while we were havin' a moment.

We let go in unison and wipe our eyes. "It's nice that you care so much for me, Eliza. Sorry if I wronged you recently."

"Nae bother."

"So, um." She clasps her hands together and puts on a smirk. One that I'm more familiar with. "What's going on with you and Kelli?"

Christ, talk about a random question. "Nothin'. She's nice and I'm bein' nice back. Hey, it's not often I get to make friends, I'm not gonna forget you or anythin'," I explain and give her a light smack on the shoulder. She smiles back and nudges me with her fist.

"Don't forget your bow and arrows. Let's not keep him waiting."

>>

"Anderson, you're early," says Neto as he strikes something off his clipboard, leaning against a tree.

"Hm?" Kelli checks her watch. "It's 6.30 AM, just like you asked sir."

"I meant for your standards. Now get you and the others into the jeep." He points to a specific jeep, furthest behind the convoy of 6. De Vrie-my bad, Nienke and Alex are sitting on the back, having a conversation. Eliza takes the furthest left seat, I take the middle one and Kelli fills in the rightmost side. Kelli's face lights up when she sees who's the driver.

"Hey Jake! Nice seein' ya here. First time you'll be driving me somewhere."

The man with the scar glares at her. "And don't go around thinking I'll be doing it again." He starts the engine and waits for the vehicle in front to move. Our expedition begins.