Chapter Seven- Weed Crumbles into Glitter

Author's note- If you watch this video and imagine Jen being this annoying while waking Quinn up, I will love you forever! GOOOOD MORRRNIIING ISLANDERS!!!!

Chapter Seven- Weed Crumbles into Glitter

Jen's POV.

Jen woke up to welcoming rays of sunlight slanting through the blinds and fanning onto her face. She lay in bed for a few minutes, stretching luxuriously and wondering why she felt so happy. The joyful glow flooding through her was almost comparable to the exuberance she'd felt, rocketing up to the ionosphere for the first time. As she lay on her back, a smile curling her lips up as she savored that elusive, blissful feeling, trickles of last night started to sieve into her mind.

"Khalil?"

"Wait, this is Khalil? You talk about him in your sleep!"

"It's me, Jen..."

"I'm really sorry. I don't know who you are."

Her fruitless conversation with Anissa. Her apprehensively excited chat with TC, and him coming through with the security camera feed in seconds, and an app where she could watch the live footage. Jen chuckled to herself, her eyes closing. TC deserved a Jamba juice for this. Actually, so did she for thinking about asking him.

All she needed to do today was keep an eye on the app, and when Khalil left the bar to go somewhere, maybe run some Saturday errands, Jen would know and try to intercept him along the way. And then they would talk, and she was sure he would remember her. Because something Anissa had mentioned was sticking to Jen like white on rice, convincing her that this was the reason Khalil hadn't recognized her.

"I think that Painkiller might have been running the show."

Who was to say that Painkiller was the same as he had been way back when? He was an operating system, according to TC and uncle Gambi, just some code in the chip in Khalil's brain. Maybe Khalil had found a way to rewrite that code, to cut off the part of Painkiller that made him so dangerous. It made perfect sense to Jen- if Painkiller was in control, but no longer had murderous tendencies, maybe he wouldn't, couldn't have known who Jen was. Whatever the case, Jen wasn't backing down.

Even if she had to use her powers, she was going to get through to him.

She blinked as a notification floated across her phone screen.

BRUNCH ON ME BITCHES!!! WE LEAVE AT 1 SO GET READY HEAUXES!!!!

Chuckling, Jen tapped on the notification and entered the group chat. Angie and Quinn had returned at around 4am, woke Jen up for a couple minutes as Quinn stumbled into the room, hitting every piece of furniture she could. Thankfully, Angie had only stayed long enough to make sure Quinn was safely in bed before she left. After that, Jen had succumbed to the power of sleep.

It was now almost noon, and Jen was feeling well-refreshed and more optimistic than she had in a while. It was a beautiful day, she was going out for brunch with her friends, and soon (hopefully) she would be having an earnest, recollection filled conversation with Khalil.

Everything was coming up roses.

I'm in! Getting ready then imma wake up sleepin beauty here!

Tucking her phone into her pj shorts, Jen bounced to the closet she shared with Quinn and threw the doors open. It was already a warm, muggy day, and Jen tugged at her nightshirt, her eyes roving calculatingly over her clothes. God, how she wished she had raided Anissa's closet just one last time before coming to Akashic Valley! Now that girl had expensive taste, and since they were pretty much the same size, Anissa's clothes generally always migrated into Jen's closet.