Chapter Fourteen- Know No Better

Jen's POV

"Will you come with us, please?"

Jen's head swam, the male cop's words reverberating through her mind as she looked up at him. She'd initially thought his quiet voice was polite, but it was belatedly dawning on her that he was talking through tightly gritted teeth, and a muscle worked in his jaw. He looked like someone holding in disgust and annoyance under a thin façade of civility. One wrong move and the veil would split, revealing his true nature. He reminded Jen forcefully of the A.S.A. troops who had beaten down Jefferson at Garfield High, particularly the one who had thrown her father on the ground and commenced to kicking him when he was down. A chill coiled around the base of Jen's spine.

"Wait, hold on. Angie was kidnapped?" The young, Black, female cop nodded as Jen stared wildly back and forth the two. "But that's- they went on a double date- this has got to be a mistake."

His patience clearly fraying at the edges, the male cop shoved a hand over the bristles of his blonde crewcut and said, "Will you please come with us, Miss Pierce? We'll give you a ride to the hospital."

Like Jen was going to trust anything he said. She sized him up. He was tall, probably the same height as her dad, with sun-tanned skin covering bulbous arm muscles. If he tried to grab her, could she defend herself? Jen didn't think so. Not with her powers missing in action.

Forcing herself to calm down, Jen reasoned with herself that all she was going on was a primal dislike of the male cop, and the vague feeling that something wasn't right. She always was an instinctual person, but now was a good time to pay attention, pick up body language, and, for once in her life, not act rashly.

Jen pressed her lips together and guardedly said, "No, wait. Tell me what happened."

"That's all we know right now," the female cop said, glancing nervously up at her partner. Jen saw that his cheeks starting to flush pink, almost as if he was about to blow his top. "Angelica was taken, and Quinn managed to get free."

"And she's at the hospital?" Jen shivered, a phantom chill sneaking into her bones. "Is she hurt?"

Pompously, the male cop hitched at his belt. "We're not at liberty to say right now, Miss Pierce. But we need you to come with us." He bared his teeth in a smile that looked more like the snarl of a terrifying dog. "We have some questions for you as well, and we'll ask those when we get to the hospital to question your friend."

"She's been asking for you, Jennifer," the female cop added, her voice soft and oddly pleading.

Jen didn't trust the duo one bit.

Squaring her shoulders as she pulled herself to her full height, Jen said, "I want to see your badges."

Scoffing, the male cop shook his head in disbelief. "Get a load of this shit. People watch one episode of Cops, and they think they know everything."

"I'm not going anywhere till you show me your badges identifying you as AVPD," Jen said stolidly, sending a prayer up when her voice came out without a wobble. The chill had spread through her entire body, and her mind was racing as she searched for exit points. If this got ugly- if the male cop dispensed with the formalities and tried to attack her, what could she do? Couldn't call the cops, because they were right here!

Taking an aggressive step forward, the male cop said, "We don't have to show-."

"Ramsey, please." The female cop put one hesitant hand on his lower arm. Her other hand was being used to fish out her badge from her pocket. "Just do it, we're wasting time. Here, Jennifer."