Chapter 43

-January 2021-

Olivia's POV:

"Hey, how are you?" I asked Cameron. We didn't talk for a whole week, I called him everyday, but it always ended up badly. I didn't have the courage to ask him what Josh had told me in the hospital. It makes sense, but it doesn't. 

He knew Cameron before I did. That doesn't change anything.
He did punch him on the face. What if he was jealous?
He followed me to the party and made sure I was okay.
Cameron thinks of Josh as a threat, I think. Why, though? Maybe it's just because we've had history and he saw how hurt I was. He's just trying to protect me.
Josh doesn't even remember what he told me, so it was most likely something he made up since half of his brain was still technically asleep.

"Good." He answered, annoyed.

"I know it's been a stressful week, I don't really want to fight with you anymore." I spoke up.

"Then, don't start it, Olivia. Those fights aren't my fault, they're yours." He rolled his eyes. "You're always getting on my nerves." He mumbled, but I was able to hear.

"I guess, I'll leave you to think, then." I answered.

"That would be amazing." He smiled sarcastically, hanging up. What? First Josh with his weird breaking up with me story, and now him? Am I that unlovable?

I took a deep breath and sat on the piano. I had challenged myself to write a song with someone else's music, so I chose New Year's Day by Taylor because it was slow and it was in the same key I had started humming.

"Called you on the phone today
Just to ask you how you were
All I did was speak normally
Somehow I still struck a nerve
You got me fucked up in the head, boy
Never doubted myself so much
Like, am I pretty? Am I fun, boy?
I hate that I give you power over that kind of stuff
'Cause it's always one step forward and three steps back
I'm the love of your life until I make you mad
It's always one step forward and three steps back
Do you love me, want me, hate me? Boy, I don't understand
No, I don't understand
No, it's back and forth, did I say something wrong?
It's back and forth, goin' over everything I said
It's back and forth, did I do something wrong?
It's back and forth, maybe this is all your fault
Instead it's one step forward and three steps back
And I'd leave you, but the roller coaster is all I've ever had
Yeah, it's one step forward and three steps back
Do you love me, want me, hate me? Boy
I don't understand
No, I don't understand.
" I cried. Why did I have to cry because of every boy? Why can't one just treat me right?

Josh's POV:

"Josh, we need to talk." Sabrina spoke up. She flew to Utah after I was out of the hospital to spend the time with me. I've been better, and I feel like myself again.

"Sure, go ahead." I nodded, sitting up straight. Those words are never good.

"I been thinking about this for a while now, and I've come to the decision that we need to split up." She started. "I really can't handle the drama anymore, and every time we're together fans somehow find out and then come for me because of Olivia's song, and I'm not saying it's her fault. Her song is really good and it deserves the recognition it's getting, but I can't with all of it. I'm sorry." She apologized. I brought her into a hug and kissed the top of her head.

"There's really nothing to be sorry for." I consoled her. "I get it, this is overwhelming, and the time is not the best." I answered. We talked a little bit more, deciding to not put out the duet for my EP. It was the best for us, and honestly, for Olivia too.

"That doesn't mean we can't still be friends. You can always come to me if you need anything." She smiled. I nodded and helped her pack up, then took her to the airport.

Well, I guess that makes me a free man. Not that I'm looking for someone; I want space for myself, to get my identity back and know what I want.

Olivia's POV:

Now, here he was. The one and only, Cameron Kasky, was knocking on my door. 

"How did you get here?" I asked, once I opened the door.

"A friend of mine booked a ticket here, I asked him for it and he gave it to me. I have to pay him back, but yeah." He explained, digging his hands in his pockets. "I, uh, I came to apologize. I shouldn't have acted that way when you called." 

"Apology accepted." I smiled. I don't even know what I want anymore, all I knew is that I didn't want everyone's eyes on me. I didn't like that suddenly everyone was trying to find who the drivers license was about, and I hated that I was all the magazines, and gossip podcasts talked about. It was fun and exciting for a day or two, but now it's not.

"You guys broke up?" Matt asked, walking out of his apartment with Josh.  They didn't notice Cameron and me. Josh nodded and said something, but I couldn't hear the rest. Oh?

"So, can I come in, or..." Cameron got my focus back on him. I think he heard what Matt said too.

"Yeah, sorry, I got distracted." I moved out of the way and let him in. 

"What have you been up to these past weeks?" He asked, sitting in the couch. I sat next to him, sighing.

"Nothing, really. Going to work, and well, writing songs, I guess. Oh, I've also had, like, a million interviews." I replied. "What about you?"

"Nothing interesting. I've been helping Iris with her makeup thing online." He answered. I nodded and the rest of the day we stayed on the couch binge watching one of his favorite shows. I didn't really feel happy with Cameron, but I also didn't not, so, like, what do I do?