Chapter 22

"You're late."

        My eyes widen. How can this be happening to me? How is he always one step ahead?

        "I heard your little conversation with Kelvin. Both of them actually. One in the sky and one behind a tree. Did you really think I'd let you get away with it? I told you not to do anything crazy. Must you always ignore my warnings?" Peter stretches as he strolls in front of the Indian's hideout.

        I know he cannot see it. Not until midnight during a full moon. But he believed me when I said it was there. The moonlight bounces off the dome of fairy dust.

        I can see shadows inside the teepees. Before, Peter didn't want them to know he knew, now he doesn't seem to care.

        He materializes behind me. I swing around. He grins and reappears on the other side of the clearing.

        "Good job figuring out that trick. You'll be pleased to know that this is the last time you'll use it. It is true that here if you believe something is real, it will work. But only if I allow it. I gave you more than a fair chance."

        I wet my lips nervously. I only have to get through him. But will the Indians even let me enter their hideout? What if Peter tries to force his way in?

        "Are you actually going to use that?" Peter's eyes stray to the dagger in my hand. I'd forgotten about it. Kelvin knew this wouldn't be easy.

        I wrap my fingers around the dagger and hold it out in front of me. Peter pulls a knife out of his belt. The edge is sharp, dangerous.

        I look at the sky. In a few moments sunrise will be here. Soon it will be too late. I won't be able to see the fairy dust nor enter their safe place.

        Peter waves his hand. "No more disappearing. I'll even play fair."

        No more teleporting, I've lost my one advantage. But how could it even be an advantage when he could do it too?

        "I'm waiting, Wendy girl. Are you going to attack me or not?"

        "I don't want to kill you." I keep the dagger pointed at him, but the blade trembles. What is the use of one knife against a monster?

        Peter holds out his hands, his own weapon dangling from his fingers. "But I stand between you and your only chance." He spins his dagger and slants an eyebrow at me.

        I growl and lunge forward, my knife slashing the air harmlessly. "It's not fair!" I ground out as I swipe my dagger again.

        He avoids it easily and grins. "I'm not even flying off. This is more than fair."

        I twist around. I've had to defend myself before, but not against a magical being who is stronger and more powerful. And annoying.

        I don't want to kill him, but I do want to hurt him. Not just to distract him and get to the Indians. I want to hurt him because he is playing with me, teasing me.

        He is proving that I am weak. But I won't give up without a fight. Even if he still wins.

        We dance around the clearing. Peter doesn't attack, he merely steps away from my wild slashes. My breath catches in my throat. The moon is sliding out of view. Soon the sun will return.

        He is merely toying with me, wasting time until it is too late.

        I stop and bend my knees. Why didn't Kelvin hand me a sword? It is impossible to attack with such a small knife. Instead of lunging forward, I take my time and move closer to him. Peter yawns and at that moment I arch my dagger towards his arm.