Chapter 38

"I-" starts Peter. The dagger in his hand no longer trembles, but he keeps his gaze on the ocean in front of us.

        I turn towards him and offer him a small, sad smile. "There are no kings in Neverland, but there are still pirates. Hook is using you. He's the one who cursed this island. He isn't just a pirate. He's fae. He's dangerous and evil." I keep my gaze steady on him. "It's true. You need to believe me."

        Peter's eyes shift back and forth, the knife still clutched in his hand. There is a fight raging inside him. The curse still has a strong hold over him, but it is starting to crack.

        "You told me once you weren't good at following the rules. Well, the game isn't over yet, Peter. But you don't have to play anymore. Hook left the island and he's distracted. You can be stronger than the curse."

        He leans away from me and the moonlight catches on a silver chain around his neck. I don't remember seeing it there before. He must have kept it hidden under his shirt.

        I grab it before he can pull away. "What's this?"

        "Nothing!" He snatches the chain back, loosening his grip on his dagger.

        I look at the silver chain that he hastily shoves back under his shirt, my gaze pausing on the small lump resting on his heart. "Why wear my kiss if it means nothing? If I mean nothing."

        Anger flashes in his eyes. "You don't know what you are saying."

        "Really?" I pull an acorn out of my pocket and drop it into his hand. I can't believe it survived the waves.

        Peter's lips part. But he doesn't say anything.

        "I thought that you were Peter by day, and Pan by night... But now I realize that you have always just been Peter Pan. You're strong. And you're weak. You're Hook's most powerful weapon." I brush my fingers down his cheek. He lifts his eyes. The green shimmers in the light of the moon. "Can't a sword be used against its own master? You can still save Neverland."

        "Save Neverland? The darkness won't destroy this place. It will only change it, make it more powerful. Make me more powerful."

        "You still think that changing isn't the same as destroying. But the evil has already destroyed Neverland and replaced it with a shadow. This is Hook's doing. He is the evil inside you."

        Peter smirks, but it looks strained. "Pretty words, Wendy Darling, but stop trying to save me. Worry about yourself."

        My eyes trace over the dagger. "If you were going to kill me, you would have by now."

        Peter turns toward me again. His eyes catch on mine.

        The waves continue to crash against the shore, but we do not hear them. The fire burns out, but we do not care. Down the beach a crocodile wanders, but we do not see it.

        We are alone, blue eyes lost in green.

        A thousand moments dance before my eyes. And Peter is in every one.

        Teaching me how to fly. Sitting high above the ground surrounded by broken glass. Slipping a blue rose behind my ear. Teasing me about bear meat by a campfire. Catching me as I fell from a cliff. Adjusting his green hat over my curls. Rubbing my back as I cried. Screaming my name as the cave exploded. Talking when I was too tired to respond. Bringing me blueberries. Wrapping his blanket around my shoulders.