Chapter 33

Peter shakes my shoulder. “Wendy? Wendy, wake up!”

        I blink my eyes. I am tired. Exhausted, really-I gasp and sit up. Moira. Moira, the fairy queen, is my mother.

        My mother.

        A sob wrenches through me. Why would she lie to me? And am I even right, what if I’m merely reading the facts wrong? Surely she would have told me! Why wouldn’t she?

        Because my father is Jas, the evil fae who was banished. And I was their only child who was sent into the future for my protection.

        Well, that sure worked well.

        “Wendy,” Peter crouches next to me. In his hand is a dagger.

        Oh, no. I struggle to breathe. No, no, no.

        I reach for my belt, but there is nothing hidden there. He knows. But maybe-maybe he thinks it is just another dagger.

        “How did you get that?” I ask innocently, my mind still whirling with images of a fairy queen in a forest and a dark fae I never met. Who might have cursed this very island.

        “I didn’t mean to. You fell and I tried to catch you-and I felt your dagger.”

        I shift my eyes away. “Daine gave it to me-to practice whittling. Although I’m horrible at it and he said-”

        “Don’t lie to me!” Peter glares as he turns the dagger over in his hands. “You think I don’t know gold and fairy dust when I see it?”

        He had already figured out why the fairy queen-my mother-let me return to Neverland. But surprise still crosses his face.

        I’ve betrayed him.

        His mouth twists. “How could the queen be so foolish? She must have known this would never work.” But does he know that it will destroy Neverland? Or does he only think she wanted to kill him because of how powerful he is becoming? He shakes his head. “And you, Wendy, are so predictable.”

        Then why does he still seem surprised?

        “You’ll never use this.” He runs his finger over the embroidered handle. I was always too scared to look closely at the dagger. It is beautiful, but lethal.

        “How can you be so sure?” I swallow. Everything is spinning out of control.

        “I told you, you aren’t a fighter.” He slips my dagger into his belt. His smirk returns. “And besides, you ignored my every warning. You didn’t believe me even though I told you so many times. I am Peter and I am Pan.”

        I narrow my eyes. What is he getting at? “I know that.”

        “Ah, but you still fell in love with me.” Peter grins as I look away.

        He can’t read my thoughts, but he can still read me. But I don’t love him. I mean-I do, but in the same way I might love Daine or Jacob or any of the lost boys.

        Well, I guess it isn’t the same thing. Blood rushes through my head.

        Peter flicks the dagger hanging next to his own knives. “Have you forgotten one little detail? If I die, he dies because he is me. You probably think I never wanted you to like me. But I did. It makes this all so much easier.” His words are measured, soft and sharp. “I warned you. Hate comes so much easier than love. If you had listened, then maybe you would have the strength to destroy me now. But it is too late.” His intense eyes bore into mine. He lowers his voice. “I have your heart. But you’ll never have mine.”