Chapter One

Hana's POV

There was a knock on my door which startled me from my school work, I looked up from the multiple calculus question before saying, "Come in!" 

"Happy birthday!" Appa yelled as he entered my room with a small cake in his hands. 

"Appa! You didn't have you!" I smiled as he carefully pushed my school work aside and lit the candle. 

"Hey it's not everyday my little girl turns 13!" Appa smiled as he gave me a hug. "Okay now make a wish!" He urged as he kneeled down next to me and took a photo with his polaroid. I posed for the photo before closing my eyes tightly and blowing out the candle.  

"Alright what did you wish for?" He asked as he handed me a spoon so I could enjoy the cake. 

"I can't tell you that!" I smiled as I shoved a forkful of red velvet cake into my mouth. "Hmm appa! This is such a good cake!" 

"Oh come on! Just tell me, I promise I won't tell! And I'm glad you enjoy the cake!" Appa said as he stood up. 

"Fine, I'll tell you. I wished that I got the scholarship for the Clementine Private High School." I sighed as I placed my fork down. 

"Oh my little flower, I got the thing that will cheer you right up!" Appa said as he left my room for a moment and came back with an open envelope. "I'm sorry, I got a little to excited." He apologized as I snatched the envelope from his hands. 

"NO WAY!" I yelled as I read the acceptance letter to Clementine Private High School on a full ride scholarship. 

"YES WAY! And I thought that you would need some way to communicate with me and the new friends you're about to make so I got you a little something." Appa said as he handed me an iPhone box. 

"WHAT! APPA! What about the new mattress you were saving up for?" I asked as I carefully took the Apple product from his hands. 

"Don't worry about it, I've been picking up some extra shifts at the pizzeria." Appa smiled as I jumped onto him hugging him. 

"Oh my god this is the best day ever!" I exclaimed as appa showed me all the features and how he already had cellular hooked up onto it. 

"Are you still going out tonight with Diya and Ron?" Appa teased as I rolled my eyes. 

"Appa, you know Ron and I are just friends and I'm pretty sure he likes Ann. I don't even have the time to date, but yes we are going to meet up with a few friends and go for a movie theater picnic at the park." I answered as I watched appa get up from my bed. 

"Alright my little flower, just please stay safe and text me if you need anything with the new phone of yours!" Appa smiled as he gave me one of his bear hugs. "I want you to know how proud I am of you. I love you so so much Hana." 

"And I love you too appa." I said back as he kiss my forehead. 

"Alright, well start getting ready and then I'll drive you to the park and don't worry I'll keep my distance from you and your friends." He said as he left my room. 

"You know you can join us, their parents are." I offered as he closed my door smiling.

This was perfect, just the two of us. Appa is a teen dad, he never got to graduate high school. When appa found out he was going to have me he was the happiest he had ever been, and still is; but my birth mom never wanted to have me, appa convinced her to go through with the pregnancy and that he would take full responsibility of me. Long story short: appa was shunned from his family, they cut all communication from him and we had a whole Pursuit to Happiness moment. No matter what he always made sure I was clothed and fed. The very least I could do for all his efforts and late night shifts was to get good grades and work for a better future for the both of us.