Chapter Two

Hana's POV

"Wow, I can't believe she's dead, she was only turning 12 too." Carl said as he sat next to me on the log I was on.

"It's crazy, how did she even end up in there?" I asked as Carl shrugged his shoulder. "Poor Carol, I might stop by and see how she's doing soon."

"I think Dad, Glenn, and Maggie are already doing so." Carl stated as he picked up a rock and threw it into the little pond in front of us.

"It still doesn't hurt to go check in with her." I stated. It's probably been a year since the virus took over and the world turned upside down. Since then, we have met and lost a lot of people, the most recent one being Sophia Peletier. We've been moving places every now and then, but our current safe place is the Greene's farm. The Greene family consisted of: Hershel, his wife, Annette, and his children Maggie, Beth, and Shawn. A few other people reside on the farm, but they usually minded their own business.

It didn't take me long to notice that appa had an interest in Maggie, it was painfully obvious. I was glad that he did though. As for me, I took a huge liking to Carl. Maybe because he was the only boy close to my age that I could relate to or that he was cute and interesting, but everything was always so nice having him around. We got along great! I told him how I was intelligently gifted, hence how I knew so much about almost everything, and he told me that I was dumb due to not knowing much about survival. It was a good duo overall: the brain and the brawns.

"Hey Carl, hey Hana." Rick greeted us.

"Hello Rick." I said as we got up.

"What's up Dad?" Carl asked.

"I'm going to go hunting if you two would like to join." Rick offered as Carl's face lit up.

"Yes!" Carl exclaimed.

"Thanks Rick, but I got other stuff to do. I'll see you guys later." I said walking away and heading towards the main house. Maybe it would have been better if I had gone hunting with them, I need to start getting better with my aim. However, a part of me didn't like how the gun felt in my hands and the recoil was horrible... especially on the shotguns.

"Hello my little flower." Appa said as I approached the main house.

"Well, well, well. Look at you two getting comfortable." I teased as Maggie let off a small chuckle and appa turned red.

"If you're looking for my daddy he should be in the sun room." Maggie said as I nodded my head and walked into the house. Now Maggie was a beautiful woman. Tough, but loving at once. She treated me so kindly ever since we first met each other, and I honestly would do anything to make sure she stayed alive.

"Ah Hana! Just the person I was about to look for," Hershel said as he got up from his chair, "ready to learn a thing or two?"

"As ready as I'll ever be!" I smiled, although Hershel wasn't an actual doctor, it didn't hurt to take advantage of a learning opportunity. I bet if Merle was here, he would say what a waste of time this is and that I should be at target practice. I wonder if he will ever realize that every one is strong in different ways.

As I assisted Hershel with stitching up a little calf, sudden yells for help caught our attention and then that's when Rick busted open the front door holding an unconscious Carl in his arms with a crowd of people following him.

"HELP HIM!" Rick cried out as Lori stayed close weeping her eyes out.

"I-I didn't mean to! It was an honest accident; I was trying to aim at the deer!" Otis, one of the people that lives on Hershel's farm to help run it, explained before Shane and Daryl beat him.