Chapter 14 : Hyperlink 1.0

[Flashback]

The project was a success. All the clearance was done with. The patent work would take another day- the officials said. Actually it shouldn't take this much time, we had been going through the process for a year now.

"So. Mr. Omkar and Ms. Prisha, we think the test subject -Wonder and your primary prototype can stay with us tonight. Right ?...

Because we too want to test it and for now, it's transport could cause some unforeseen damage", the Head of IALAR told us.

That sounded fishy. Especially with our delaying in patent work.
"Not at all, we can't take a risk like that", Jayesh bolted.

"Then it may conflict with our decision to support your project I think. Maybe the agreement too.."

"Ok, ok, fellas. Let's not fight unnecessarily. I'm sure we can come up with another alternative", Neha adviced.

"We'll keep the prototype here, but we will stay here itself then, with it", I said firmly.

"Fine with me", The head said.

All of them left for the dinner. But Jayesh was mad at me again. "They could steal our tech!! And name it theirs ! You nuts!", he said

"Easy man. We are here to keep it safe !!", I assured him.
The night felt long and slow. I'd asked Neha to take Akshit and go home. Only me, Jayesh and Joyce would take care of the prototype for the night.

But where was Joyce ? I hadn't seen her for a while now.

I tried to search for her. I just hoped Jayesh didn't hurt her again. He could've done something stupid. I told Jayesh that I had to go to washroom, leaving Jayesh alone with our -prototype.

I entered the deserted washroom. It was 12am.
That's when I smelled something stinking. One of the doors were locked from outside. I opened the lock and opened the door.

What I saw gave me the shock of my life. I knew it was gonna haunt me forever. A young lady, a good friend of ours- all soaked in red.

"JOYCE!!!!", I screamed in panic.

Blood came out from a wound on her neck - a slit made by a short blade. I suspected Jayesh would do something, but this..

I recalled that Jayesh always carried a blade in his watch which was undetected by the metal scanner. He said it was for his personal safety. But now...

She was dead for sure. There was no need to check her pulse. I tried to call police but my phone didn't have enough network coverage.

I hurried towards Jayesh. It'd started to rain.

Thunder clouds covered the sky. I felt something. Something bad was gonna happen for sure, I could sense it.

"HAHAAAAAA!!!!", I heard Jayesh scream. The thunderclouds roared.

In the amidst of the bright light of lightning, I saw Jayesh. Some purple thing glowing on his head. The primary prototype, it was missing. His clothes were burning.

"A new Villain was born" - I heard someone in my mind.

"Jayesh! What happened to you ?" I yelled. "You killed Joyce ??? How could you..."

"Joyce.. Joyce.. That damn girl who was good for nothing. I killed her with my own hands !!!", Jayesh said.

His voice had changed. It sounded monstrous.
"She installed something that she wasn't supposed to. She used the programming her brother had made. He'd told her not to use that anywhere. But still she did.."
He roared. "Just to prove herself ?!!"

"You are not Jayesh. You're something else", I said. ,"You've changed."

"It's you, who has changed, Omkar. You", He said. "We started off at the same level. We both started at zero, but we aren't the same now. Why ??? Why is it always that you get everything, I get nothing ??"

"No its not like.."

"Yes, it is. It has been. You get a girl, a kid, a readymade family. And me ? nothing. Just a fucking dishonest bitch that's what I deserve ???

"The head of IALAR praises you so much and gives doesn't give me a damn. Why ??? Omkar why ??? Don't I deserve anything ?", Jayesh was out of control now. But whatever he said, it wasn't false.

"Just don't kill me too", I muttered.

"I deserve many things in my life. Which you have taken away from me. I deserve Prisha. I deserve the kid. I deserve ASPEX. I deserve everything...", He lifted his hand.

"And I don't need you now"... And punched me hard on my face. I tried to block it. But.. whatever.

Ow. My head hurted.

Hey... Anyone?..

[/Flashback]