Chapter 32

"We each get to ask a question and we both have to answer it", I suggest.

"I think that's good. I'll go first." Alec clears his throat and considers for a moment.

"Hobbies." Too easy.

"Reading", I say, earning a sceptical look.

"That's your job", Alec says. Shrugging, I slip a grape between my lips, the crack of the fruity shell causing the sweet juice to pour out into my mouth. Alec stares spellbound at my lips.

"My hobby is my profession. I live my passion."

"So am I", he whispers. "Then my next question is taken care of."

"It's not even your turn", I reply perkily.

"Let's see. It's all too easy and has been asked a thousand times. Favourite colour..."

"Dark blue."

"... or favourite food...:

"Vegetable casserole."

"... Favourite drink is also old hat..."

"Soda water with a squeeze of lemon."

"Got it. Your favourite childhood memory." I heard and saved the answers to the questions I didn't actually ask. Dark blue. Alec is wearing a light blue shirt. It suits him so much better than red.

"I don't have to think about that for long. It was summer. I was six years old. Izzy was five and Jace was eight. It was the summer before I started school. Here, at this spot, we had a picnic. The boulder didn't have that much moss yet but still, to me, it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. It had something majestic, mystical. The rock towered over me and the leaves of the oak cast mysterious shadows. They danced across the rock and the moss, the colours glowed and the sun shone so brightly that it almost hurt my eyes. Our parents were still happy together. Jace and I faced each other with little wooden swords in our hands and I defended the life of my princess Lady Isabelle with everything I had. Dad cheered Jace on and Mum fainted theatrically as I cut down the evil knight Jonathan. Lady Isabelle cheered and jumped into my arms. Together we dropped to the soft grass and swore we would always stick together. The Lightwood siblings. A year later, our parents separated. We lived together under one roof for a few more years, but the love was no longer there. Dad changed. And Mum couldn't take it any more at one point." A blissful smile plays around the corners of Alec's mouth during his narration. Only the part about his parents' separation puts a slight shadow on his shining eyes. And the smile suddenly seems forced. Nevertheless, it is a truly beautiful memory.

"Now you. What's your best childhood memory?", asks Alec.

"Tuscany. Lemon trees and cicadas. The soft whispers of my parents and my father's protective hand in my hair. Me falling asleep peacefully and being the happiest child on the planet", I reply and my words catapult me back to the veranda of the old finca.

"Even today I can smell the fresh aromatic scent of the lemon trees and hear the chirping of the cicadas. When I close my eyes, I hear the soft voices of my parents and feel their closeness and security. Feel the love for each other and for me. The six-year-old Asian boy with the too-long legs and skinny body."

"Sun-kissed skin and raven black hair", whispers Alec and I open my eyes. He's close to me and I see the brilliant blue, glittering dots flickering wildly. They find no rest, switching back and forth between my eyes and my lips. Just as my eyes find their way to Alec's wine-soaked lips. These wear a reddish sheen from the sweet grape juice in our glasses, my tongue runs over the palate, taking in the taste of sweetness, acidity and tannin. A soft, warm and fruity aroma. I can imagine the taste on his lips.