Chapter 48

And so Alec and I reached an agreement that morning after his sister's wedding. We decided to start something relaxed. For five months now I have had a husband, a temporary roommate, a good conversationalist, an extremely talented craftsman and an excellent lover all rolled into one. It looked like we both needed this galactically good sex to be able to talk about a few things. Sometimes it is strange that two adult people are unable to speak openly and honestly to each other. However, we changed this fact. We talked. With a fantastic breakfast that Alec ordered to his room just like the night before. There were rolls and croissants. Wonderfully fragrant strawberry jam and amber-colored viscous honey from the local beekeeper. Muesli with fresh fruit and yogurt. A perfect symbiosis of crispy and fruity, white and creamy. The coffee tasted divine. I was in love with this black scalding elixir of life after the first sip. When the first drops of hot and aromatic wet my tongue, I hummed with relish. With my eyes closed, I surrendered to the strong, nutty aroma and even thought I tasted a pinch of chocolate. Fascinated by my reaction to an ordinary cup of coffee, Alec watched me with a smile on his face.

"You are incredible. Little things like that can please you. I think that's nice", he said. We took time for breakfast and an inevitable conversation. But also for the silence between us, which was never strange, but rather calming.

"I have a question, Magnus. I've been thinking about that for a long time." A dark premonition crept into me. Suddenly I lost my appetite and a slight nausea set in. Sighing, I let the fluffy croissant slide in my hands onto the plate.

"And what?", I asked bent and braced myself for the revelation of a dark time in my life. I was wondering when Alec would ask me this question.

"Why are you wearing your wedding ring? You are obviously not interested in a display of our covenant. So I wonder why you don't just take the ring off?" That was unexpected. I didn't expect this question. It was harmless in contrast to the question I feared.

"I can't get it off", I mumbled, not daring to look into Alec's face. I was uncomfortable. Because, of course, I had noticed that Alec no longer wore his ring. Not in a long time. The croissant on the plate had become very interesting again and, embarrassed, I played with the puff pastry, plucked small pieces off. But I didn't eat them. Instead, Alec put two fingers to my chin and pushed my head up. A warm smile played around the corners of his mouth and I was shocked to see that my heart stopped beating for a brief moment at the sight.

"Never mind. I like it when you wear it. It was just a question."

"Why aren't you wearing yours anymore?"

"Because I was mad at you. I had the ring removed by a goldsmith in Vegas that same day." I looked at him slightly confused. A goldsmith? And then it clicked. I mentally clapped my hand over my forehead. Why hadn't the idea occurred to me?

"I'm not allowed to wear jewelry in my job. The risk of injury is too high. And I was angry. At you. Because you just ran away. And just left me standing in this hotel room with a ring on my finger and a tear in the film."

"Understandable. I'm sorry Alec. All of that. But I was completely overwhelmed by the situation. I fled a wedding and woke up married in Vegas." My life was in ruins. I rushed from one disaster to the next. All I wanted was a loving man by my side. A well-paid job that fulfilled me, my little house and maybe a dog. And what did i get? Grief, pain, betrayal and a husband. However, I didn't tell Alec that.

"There are worse things, Magnus. But there are better things too. And I would never give you such a ring here. You must have chosen it." Alec managed to dispel the dark thoughts in my head with just one sentence. We discussed who, in our opinion, was responsible for the terrible silver rings with hideous embellishments, and yet we couldn't come up with a solution. Because here, too, everything is still dark and intangible.