Chapter 35: Burning Questions

After the group link, everyone dispersed throughout the house to do their own thing.

Nick brought his laptop to the screened-in porch and found Addison already set up with a notebook and a laptop on the table in front of her.

"Mind if I play in here?" Nick asked.

"Go ahead," she said, not looking up from where she was writing in her notebook. She stopped before looking up at Nick. "Actually, can we talk powers? I'm struggling with the elementals and I think yours might be easiest to work through."

"Oh, sure, what do you need to know?" Nick asked, sitting across from her at the table and sliding his laptop onto it.

"So, how does the fire happen?" Addy asked, propping her head on her left hand inquisitively. "How do you start it up?"

"Well, if there's movement it helps," Nick said. "I just picked up a lighter at some point and used that to start because I can make more if there's already fire in existence."

Addy nodded, writing something down in her notes. "So kinetic energy, it makes it easier?"

"Pretty much," Nick said. "Or if I like, rub my hands together or something like that."

"So friction definitely helps," Addy noted quietly. "That makes sense."

Nick nodded along.

"What happens if you make more fire?" Addy asked.

"I mean, I've kinda trained myself up to get better with it and all, when I reach my limits it's like I just run low on energy," Nick said.

"Like that day when we made the cookie bar, when you, Clay, and George came back and you just flopped onto the couch?" Addy asked.

"Yeah, that's pretty much what happened," Nick nodded.

"So you run out of... magic energy, for lack of a better word, and go to your own energy reserves?" Addy asked.

Nick shrugged. "I think so. I just never really gave it much thought other than the whole friction and using a lighter thing."

"And that's perfectly fine," Addy said. "Is there anything that helps you get energy back? Any, like, foods or habits?"

"I mean, protein bars and energy drinks seem to do the trick."

"Maybe try with more substantial foods?" Addy suggested. "See how that changes your energy?"

"We can do that," Nick said.

"Of course, keep energy bars and shit for quick boosts when you need it, but load up with actually good food when you can."

"Yeah, that's a good idea," Nick said.

Addy hummed, looking down at the table as she likely thought of more questions. "Dumb question, you definitely run warmer than average, right?"

"I don't take my temperature routinely, so I wouldn't know," Nick chuckled.

"Can I touch your hand?"

"Oh, sure," Nick said, offering his hand.

Addy touched his hand. Her hand was cold on his.

"Yeah, you definitely seem to be running warmer than normal," she mused, taking her hand back and jotting down a few more words.

"So I'm just a living furnace now?" Nick asked, amused.

"More or less, well-" Addy looked back up at him. "Still human, just... warm as fuck and can manipulate fire. Somehow."

Nick laughed. "You can say I'm hot as fuck, it's fine," he teased.

"You're ridiculous, that's what you are," Addy retorted.

Nick laughed.

"Continuing-" Addy cut herself off, turning her head towards the door. 

Nick heard Tommy yell something.

"That's not concerning," Addy remarked.

"What, Tommy yelling?"

"Tommy yelling 'he's okay' after a thud."

"I'm sure he's fine, he's got Dave with him." A beat. "I keep forgetting you have dialed-up senses and shit."

"Yeah, it's strange," Addy agreed. "Sometimes I just hear something and no one else hears it, it's crazy."

"I can imagine," Nick said. "How does it not drive you crazy?"

"I've adapted, I guess," Addy shrugged. "I've lived with it for a year and didn't even notice it until I met up with y'all. I just thought my anxiety was getting worse because of college and starting to stream."

"But didn't you question it when it didn't go away?" Nick asked.

Addy shrugged. "I just... accepted it, I guess. It's not even anything cool, it's just hearing and seeing shit that other people don't."

"It's still cool, though," Nick reassured her.

"Thanks," Addy smiled halfheartedly before changing the subject. "So... have you tested your immunity to heat and fire?"
"I haven't, like, passed out or anything yet, so I'm pretty sure I'm okay on that front," Nick said.

"Is that the same for fire?" Addy asked.

"Haven't gotten burned yet."

"And steam?"

"Haven't tested it."
"Let's not test it," Addy decided. "We don't want you to get injured without need."

"But it's for science, isn't it?"

"It's unethical," Addy said. "Not to mention if it goes wrong you'd be hurt and have to hide it on stream."

"Oh, yeah, that makes sense."

___

TommyInnit: toby's awake

Tubbo_: hello all I am fine someone help me convince tommy and will I can go swim

The_Eret: hello toby feeling better?

Tubbo_: Yes

Nihachu: glad you're doing well Tubbo : D but it's currently raining so I wouldn't go swimming yet

Tubbo: : (

SnowLion: we could do a card game or smth

Skeppy: cards against humanity?

Firefly: what a horrible idea let's do it