At what cost?

A/N: Ah! So much to write. Looks like I'll need to separate this into two chapters.

***

The line between parents and teacher was difficult, it was hard to suppress his paternal instincts.

Back in January when Karma had nearly drowned, he'd panicked. His son had looked so small and helpless, curled up in the hospital bed, fast asleep.

Gakuhou grimaced, staring down at his youngest son, holding his hand. Wishing the boy would wake up...

He'd let his anger get the best of him when Karma had woken up, bringing the boy to tears when he'd shouted at him and yanked his hair too hard, but Karma had driven him to it, riling him up.

That was the problem with Karma, he always knew what buttons to press to get a reaction, a cry for attention, and show of just how immature the child was. Yet again, it had fallen on him to set the boy straight again and keep an eye on him since Kairi was busy with her career.

"Dad, stop—"

"You are twelve years old and you're already throwing your life away like a fool," he'd hissed darkly. "Is that what you want? To end up dead and be fished out of the water?" He yanked his son's hair tighter. "Is that what you want?!"

"N-No!" Karma's eyes shut tightly, trembling.  "I-I'm sorry." His son sobbed. "I'm sorry!"

Gakuhou's chest had hurt seeing his son like that, trembling and scared like a leaf in the rain. He tried to smother his paternal instincts as he saw Karma cry, looking small like he was four years old again.

(He's still a child, he doesn't know any better.)

He eased his grip, stroking the bruise on his son's head in a show of remorse. "You stupid boy." He moved and used his thumb to wipe the tears from the boy's face, his son still shaking. "Stop crying."

Karma choked back a sob and quickly rubbed his eyes, looking small and pathetic. A naïve child who wasn't receiving the guidance he needed from his mother. It was difficult to stay angry at his son when he was like this, even if the tears were irritating, his youngest was still barely a teenager. Still too emotional.

Gakuhou noticed he'd dishevelled his son's hair from when he'd grabbed him and frowned, stroking his head gently to neaten up the strands again.

He'd almost come close to losing his precious baby boy.

He wasn't sure what he'd do if he lost one of his sons, maybe lose his mind.

Gakuhou took a deep breath and tried not to think about that, stroking his son's head. He tsked when he heard the boy sniffle.

"If you put your life at risk like this again you'll be completing your education in another country, regardless of what your mother may argue. Do you understand?"

His son stayed quiet and just stared at the window, gaze blank and dull. Not responding.

Gakuhou frowned. "Karma, do you understand?"

Karma looked up, grimacing. "...Yes."

He nodded, tracing the bruise on his son's head. "Your mother may let you run wild but I won't allow it." The grip on his head tightened briefly in warning. "You're not to leave the house at all this weekend – I want you close so you don't cause any more trouble." He sighed while Karma just stared back at the window. "And, I won't tolerate you causing a scene in public. Have I made myself clear?"

"...Yes." Karma's voice was quiet. "Can I just go to sleep now?"

"No, you can sleep at home," he replied sharply. "You'll be discharged in an hour so make sure that friend of yours is ready."